Chapter 15

"Please tell me we've got a plan to get out of this?" I asked, backing away from the window.

"Our options are pretty limited, Clint," Nareena replied with a grimace. "We've got nowhere near enough weaponry to fight them and I can't teleport us all out of the building in one go. I'd struggle to do it at full strength; it would render me near comatose trying to do it with my powers diminished."

"Could you teleport groups clear, though?" Nick asked.

"In theory," Nareena answered, "but I'd need time, and I'd also need someone else to make sure I was uninterrupted."

"We could use the ballroom at the back of the house," Nick said to the two world leaders. "Nightshade, Clint, and the rest of the security guards could try and hold them off as long as they can."

"Where will we go, though?" Scott asked. "We need somewhere we can at least temporarily occupy while we regroup."

"I've got an idea," Nick replied. "There's an old farmhouse not too far from here; I drive past it a lot, and every time I do I wish I had the money to buy it. It might not work in the long-term, but it would at least give us somewhere safe to take the guests while we regroup."

"Then it's agreed," Nareena said. "And we need to move quickly – I don't want to risk the possibility of being overrun while we're still trying to get people out of here."

We wasted no time, the two leaders gathering the guests in the dining hall and explaining the plan to them as best they could. The fairies were pleasantly surprised that not only were they honest about what was about to happen, but also that the guests seemed to trust Nareena without pause.

Those covering the escape started setting up barricades, making sure all their guns had plenty of ammo, and then Nick came over with a pistol in his hand. Smiling, he offered it to me.

"I can't take a gun," I said, briefly looking away from the window. "I can't imagine Dad would like this suggestion, anyway."

"It was your dad's idea, Clint," Nick said, pushing the gun into my hand. "He said that if you're going to stay here with us, he wants you armed as well."

"Listen up," Nightshade – who'd been made de facto leader of the defences – said loudly before I could even really think about what Nick had said. "I have good news and bad news: the good news is that the enemy likely won't be well-armoured, so a good enough shot should take them down. They do, however, make up for the lack of protection by being extremely quick, so don't waste time between bullets."

"Did you think you could get away from me that easily, Clint?" Niana said then, laughing softly at my confusion as she sat with her back to the barricade I was hiding behind. Upon seeing my expression she added, "I'm not sitting in some old farmhouse with a group of people I don't know while you guys risk your lives for us. Besides, you might need some magical help – Nightshade's magic is limited enough; I wouldn't fancy relying on it mid-battle. No offence," she called out to her Queen's guard as she saw him shoot her a fierce glare. "I'm just hoping they don't get anywhere near close enough that we have to ask you to use your sword."

"Stop yakking and pay attention," my dad shouted from further up the barricade. "They're almost within range!"

I looked out through a gap in the barricade and felt my heart sink as the line of fallen fairies drew nearer. Seeing guns being moved into position I pointed my own pistol through the hole, trying to find the right target. Then I waited, holding my breath.

Just then the silence was suddenly broken by an immense bang that shattered all the glass in the windows, causing the defenders to duck in order to avoid the flying shards. A handful of yelps from nearby soldiers told me that not all such attempts had been successful.