Chapter 16 - ARIEL

I used my tissue regenerator to repair my young mistress's internal injuries. The bruising of her spleen. The destruction of part of her left kidney. The acidosis in her blood due to the temporary lack of oxygen. Bit by bit, I restored her body until no traces of her electrical injuries remained.

"She'll be alright?" my creator asked from behind me after she returned from her confrontation with Ferdinand in the hallway.

"Affirmative. Do you wish me to reverse the sedative?"

"No, ARIEL, let her sleep." Dr. Prospero sat on the edge of the bed and held her daughter's hand, now free from the puckered white burns that had scorched her skin.

Pooka snuggled up closer and licked her fingers.

"Her brain was not severely damaged," I explained, "but I suspect she will suffer some amnesia from this event."

"Temporary? Or permanent?"

"The effects will be similar to a concussion."

Dr. Prospero nodded and smoothed her daughter's hair. "Probably a small blessing."

I analyzed the tones in her voice and recognized remorse. "May I inquire why you activated Ferdinand's collar when you saw that she was the one who initiated the beginnings of the mating process?"

My creator found something humorous in my question and covered her mouth to muffle the laugh that resulted from it. "You mean the kiss?"

"A kiss is an integral part of the mating process, is it not?"

"Yes, it can be."

"And you do not wish for them to mate?"

Another laugh answered me, this one with a higher pitch that spoke of nervousness. "Not right now. But, yes, part of my master plan is to bring them together."

There was a fundamental contradiction between her words and her actions. "Then why do you forbid her to speak to him? Why punish him for doing what you want?"

"Because we are dealing with teenagers, and they always prefer to do whatever they're told not to do." She pulled a blanket up over Miranda's chest. "Even my obedient daughter."

I tried to make sense of it, but there seemed to be a flaw in the logic. "I do not understand."

"It is not for you to understand, but I will elaborate to ease your curiosity about the human mind. When I finally confront Alonso, I want to make sure Ferdinand will defend and protect Miranda. Even if Alonso decides to harm me, she'll be safe."

"Did you expect her to act as she did?"

"I expected her to come to his defense. She has too much of her father in her and sees everything in the world through rose-colored glasses."

"I do not understand. To her, does everything appear to have a pink tinge?"

Dr. Prospero laughed again and shook her head. "It's an old Earth expression. It means she's optimistic and sees the good in everything. She saw it in Caliban before he tried to harm her, and she sees it in Ferdinand, too."

"Do you think he will try to forcefully mate with her like Caliban did?" If so, I would be extra vigilant. I was programmed to protect my young mistress, after all.

She pursed her lips together and seemed to ponder the question. "He's had several opportunities, and yet, he has exercised restraint each time. It speaks well of his character."

"I noted that he had sustained some injuries as well. Should I tend to them?"

She rose from the bed and nodded. "Yes, please do."