Chapter 24 - Caliban

I'd hoped for allies.

Instead, I'd stumbled upon two of the most useless fools in creation. They were not worth the air they breathed. But I continued to play along, for with every chore I performed, they gave me more of that delicious drink that emboldened my senses. And once they drifted off to drunken slumber, I raided their supplies, pilfering bits and pieces for myself and my eventual attack on Prospero.

They had led me back to the small round ship that had carried them down to this planet. Inside was an arsenal that would be more than adequate for my needs, but they guarded it as staunchly as they did their precious bourbon. I had to use stealth in stealing from them.

And once they'd lived out their usefulness to me, I'd dispose of them and regain control of what was rightfully mine.

Until then, I had to pretend to enjoy their nonsense.

The bourbon had loosened their tongues into spouting such prattle it made my ears ache. I tended to the meal while they mused about my planet.

"I should like to crown myself king of this place," the fat one, Stephano, drawled. "And seeing as how we haven't come across any intelligent lifeforms, I should think that would be easy to do."

I bristled at his remark about me lacking intelligence. He sounded too much like Prospero. But I would prove them all wrong soon enough.

"What do you know of being king?" the skinny one, Trinculo, asked.

"How many years have I served the Admiral as his personal butler?" Stephano pressed his finger to his nose, forcing the tip up. "I know all about putting on airs."

Trinculo snickered. "And what if I decided I should be king?"

"You'd have to fight me for it." Stephano rose, his hands balled into fists in front of him, but he stumbled and fell on his rump.

Both humans dissolved into laughter.

Stupid humans.

"Oh, the horror!" Stephano cried between snorts. "I seem to have spilled my drink. Oh, monster, refill my cup."

They didn't have the decency to call me by my name. Instead, they referred to me as "monster", as though I were some creature beneath them.

I couldn't wait for the night when I'd rip out their throats while they slept. Then they'd know the true meaning of the word monster.

I fetched the open bottle and snuck a swig of it before adopting the posture of a humble servant and refilling his cup.

"Ah, you're such a good little monster," Stephano said in such a condescending tone, I had to conceal my flexing claws. "When I am king, I'll make you my butler."

"You are too kind." I turned to the other human and refilled his glass.

"And what job do you have in store for me?" Trinculo asked.

"You can be my fool."

For some reason, the answer caused both men to erupt into laughter again.

But as they continued with their nonsense, a new plot hatched in my mind.

Why should I risk my life overthrowing Prospero when I could use these stupid humans to do it for me? Let them suffer battle wounds while distracting Prospero. If they were making a scene to capture her attention, I could swoop in and steal Miranda for myself. Then I would kill the rest and repopulate my home with her, ruling over my dominion as ordained.