Chapter Three

A smile crossed Rosie’s face.  “Great!  We can sign the lease whenever you are ready.”

         I nodded.  “Okay, is it all right if I take tonight to think about it?  I’m pretty sure that I want to, I just want to make sure.  This is kind of a big decision for me.”

         “I totally understand.  Take as long as you want.  Where are you from?”

         I hesitated, focused on the coffee in front of me.  I wasn’t ready to tell anyone too much information about me.  After all, Rosie was a stranger and didn’t need to know about the situation I was put in.  I didn’t want her to know about how shy I was or that I didn’t have any friends.  That I didn’t know how to live on my own. 

         “South Carolina.” I said carefully, knowing that I quickly had to decide what I was willing to say. 

         Rosie’s eyes widened.  “Woah, a long way from home, huh?”  I nodded.  “It must be nice to live near the ocean.  I went to Myrtle Beach when I was sixteen and loved it.”

         “Yeah, I live a half hour away from the coast.  I’m not going to deny it, it was so nice to spend summers there.”

         A small smile appeared on Rosie’s face.  “So did you go to college?”

         “Yeah, to a local university by my house.”

         “What did you major in?”

         “English with a minor in journalism.  I want to work for a magazine, which is why I moved to NYC.” The explanation was partly true and seemed like the best way to explain my move.  I hoped it was enough for Rosie to believe and that she wouldn’t pry any further.  “What about you?”

         “I went to NYU for my undergrad, where I met Carson and Elliot.  I majored in marine biology, planning on researching orcas in Alaska.  Then I realized that I couldn’t live in a place where it was dark and cold all year long, so I became a professional photographer.”

         “Really?  That’s awesome.”

         “Yeah.  I started off doing weddings, but once my name got out there, I made enough money to open my own studio.  I still mainly take pictures of weddings, but I also do engagements, families, and scenery.”

         “Impressive.”

         “Thanks.”

         “I’d love to stay and chat, but I really have to start looking for a job.”

         “Okay, good luck!” we both stood and threw our empty cups in the trash.  “You’re welcome to spend the night at our place tonight, it beats a dirty motel any day.”

         I looked at her with appreciation, touched by her kindness towards me, a stranger.  “Thank you so much Rosie, that’s so nice of you.”

         Rosie shook her head.  “It’s no problem! I can’t imagine what you must be feeling, moving to such a different place than you’re used to.”

         “I haven’t had much time to think about it, actually.  But thanks, now I’ll go freak out.” Rosie gave me a look of uncertainty, like she was afraid that she’d upset me.  I let out a giggle.  “I’m kidding, Rosie.  I’ll be fine.” Rosie gave a sigh of relief and smiled.  I went over to her and gave her a hug, which didn’t feel awkward in the slightest.  It was as if Rosie and I had been friends for years.  “Thanks again for everything.  Can I get your phone number and call you when I’m done job hunting?”