Chapter Seven

The next few days passed by uneventfully.  Each day I would send my article to another newspaper and call another, hoping that they’d read it.  I spent a few mornings in The Muffin Man, learning more about Rosie.  When she and Carson weren’t working, they included me in whatever they were doing: whether it be watching TV or taking a walk in Central Park.  Elliot had worked for four days straight, and I hadn’t seen him since he followed the girl into his bedroom.  I was almost certain that we were both avoiding each other: me for my own good, and him for being ashamed at his lack of control.  I was fine with it, since my head had been clearer without him there.

         One morning, I was taking a run through Central Park.  It had become my favorite park of the city.  I had been amazed that such a suburban place was in the city’s center, and it made me feel like I was back home.  I had been listening to my favorite workout music: Drake, when my phone vibrated in my short pocket. 

         My sister’s picture lit up, and I stopped suddenly, making me wobble to catch my balance.  I swiped my sweaty forehead with the back of my hand and sat down at the nearest park bench, preparing myself for the difficult talk that was ahead.

         “Hey, Mia.”         

         “Etsy?” she questioned in her high-pitched voice.  Her tone had always been sing-song, having a certain rhythm in her conversation.  “I just got back from my honeymoon and Daddy and Mom told me that you moved to New York City.  Is it true?”        

         “Yes, Mia.”

         “Why did you do that?  I can’t believe you wouldn’t tell me you were leaving.  You didn’t even say goodbye to me.” she said, sadly.

         It broke my heart that I had disappointed her.  “I’m so sorry, Mia.  It was spur of the moment, I hadn’t planned on leaving.”

         “Why, Ets?” she asked again, trying to get information.

         How could I tell my baby sister that she was the reason I left?  That her presence had been why I never got noticed, why I never got the attention I thought I deserved?  “I just needed to get out of that town.  I wasn’t going anywhere, and I was sick of it.”

         “But why did you leave right after my wedding?  Why did you run away?”

         I sighed, knowing I couldn’t tell her the truth.  “I just needed a fresh start.  I needed a job, and I knew that New York would have plenty of opportunities for me.  I’m so sorry that I left without saying goodbye, I really regret that.  But I’m here now, and I don’t regret coming.”

         “Oh Etsy.  It’s not going to be the same without you here.”

         “I know, I’m already homesick.” I lied. 

         “Then come home!  I’m sure you can find an apartment and a job here.”

         “No, Mia.  What’s done is done.  I’ve fallen in love with New York, and I know that it is the place for me.”

         Amelia was quiet for a moment.  “Okay.  As long as you’re happy, then I won’t be upset.  Can I come visit you soon?”

         “Of course!” I answered, knowing that Amelia would love the city, especially Broadway.  “Come as soon as you and Matt have settled in.  How was the honeymoon, by the way?”

         “Oh it was amazing.  Italy is so beautiful.  Matt and I saw all of the tourist attractions and spent days on the beach.”

         “I can’t wait to see pictures!  How does it feel to be a wife?”