SCENE TWO

Nicolas and Adellyn enter through SR WINGS, running. The creak of pebbles under the weight of Adellyn and Nicolas sound softly over speakers and the classical music fades. Nicolas and Adellyn sit haphazardly on the garden bench, laughing.

NICOLAS: (Mimicking) You will be the death of me.

ADELLYN: (Mimicking) Stop running through the house!

NICOLAS: (Takes out a small wooden figurine of a soldier from his jacket pocket) Sœur, the military parade is walking through the town just after midday. Will you take me?

ADELLYN: (Takes the soldier figurine) I recall the first time I saw the parade. I would have been your age perhaps or somewhat younger.

NICOLAS: You wanted to watch the parade?

ADELLYN: What is the matter with that?

NICOLAS: Nothing, nothing. I just did not pick you for that.

ADELLYN: Well, Mére, thought I was too young. So I forced Anastasie to escort me. Imagine her distaste.

NICOLAS: Now, I cannot imagine her at all.

ADELLYN: I swear every chance she had she was pulling me back by my braids.

NICOLAS: Like Mére does to you?

ADELLYN: Well where do you think our poor sister learnt it? (Sigh) But... (Adellyn holds the toy soldier in the air) Watching that parade is one of my most fond memories as a child. So many sounds, colours, people. It was an experience I will never forget. Of course I will take you.

NICOLAS: Are you going to pull me by my hair?

ADELLYN: (Her eyes dart to her brother) Only if you misbehave!

Nicolas and Adellyn laugh again for a few moments until silence settles between them. It stays quiet for a few moments.

ADELLYN: Can I tell you something Nicolas? (Reaches into her pocket) However, you are forbidden to tell anyone.

NICOLAS: What is it?

ADELLYN: You promise?

NICOLAS: Oui, Oui, I promise!

ADELLYN: (Holding the letter open) Listen.

NICOLAS: I do not understand.

ADELLYN: You will. Trust me.

Adellyn continually looks up while reading the letter.

Monsieur Allister Augustin.

I have received your submission of writing and I am envious of your refined aptitude to condemn societal customs through the practice of intricate fiction. In all my years I have yet to meet and convene with an author with your attitudes. Monsieur Augustin, you have stimulated an opportunity that could form a partnership with my company, yet I have some unanswered questions in relation to your piece. I hope that you, who possess such an exquisite ability to write, will only be able to answer. I invite you to visit me at your next convenience to discuss your piece.

Yours Sincerely,

Chatto & Windus Publishing.

NICOLAS: Is this you, Adellyn?

ADELLYN: Oui!

NICOLAS: I did not think you wrote anymore? Especially after what Mére said to you.