Chapter 3: Preparation

The day of the upcoming festival- the Celebration of the Two Trees- had arrived all too soon for Lilótëa. First she was face to face with a redheaded Noldorin Prince, and next she sat in front of her mirror, preparing to set foot on the trail that would lead them to the event- which happened every four years. To get there, her family was going to take the route that stretched across the wide Pastures of Yavanna. With a seven day walk, they would reach the Mound of Ezellohar. Sometimes, such as this year, they left their horses in the care of neighbors who preferred to stay at home. For them, haste was not always a necessary thing when it came to getting from one place to another. 

Elenwë slipped her fingers through Lilótëa's hair as she worked on the second braid that began at the left side of her head. It was intended to prevent the particularly thick locks from tumbling into her face along the walk. Lilótëa could not keep her hands from slightly shaking, even though there was no logical reason to it. At least, that's what some Elves would say if she mentioned it to them. Festivals were intended to arouse joyful celebration and bring together all Elven races. But during gatherings such as these, she tended to avoid being heard in conversations. Instead she, by instinct, wandered into the areas where no chatter floated through the air.

Thinking of how she would soon be in the midst of a large crowd made her more nervous than usual, for she now had the acquaintance with a child of Feanaro. What if Elenwë was correct- that meeting alone had made Nelyafinwë remember her?

Both sisters were clad in their favourite travel outfits. Their dresses for the event lay folded on Lilótëa's bed, beside their hooded cloaks. Elenwë's hair was already tied back in braids, which meant they were nearly ready to leave.

"Well..." The younger Vanya began, her face bursting with excitement, "are you looking forward to searching for him so much that you cannot even talk? Know this: if you want me to accompany you on the quest, I will not hesitate to do so." She finished up the braid, and Lilótëa did not miss the hopeful glint in her eyes. "Would you be willing to introduce me to him?"

"Elenwë, it is not my wish to disturb a Noldorin prince in his occupations." She spoke her reply with calmness, but inside, the agitation refused to cease.

"You are not certain he'll be busy. He might even want to take solace in nature—it would be just like how you met! Keep in mind that his occupation may be trying to talk to you again."

Lilótëa shook her head. "There are many other Elves he's bound to talk with, whereas I am not born of royalty and do not know nearly as many as he has. Others will come to him before I get the chance."

Elenwë took their cloaks and handed Lilótëa's to her with a light sigh. "You should not talk so low about yourself. Are you planning to tell Atar and Amil?"

"I see no real importance to it."

"Oh, but there is! Why must you keep denying it, Lilótëa? How often does an average maiden of our kind meet up with Prince Nelyafinwë in the forest? Our friends would be so envious if you tell them!"

Lilótëa looked at Elenwë with a somewhat melancholic expression. She tied the dark green cloak around her neck. "If something else happens in the future as a result of the meeting, then yes, it will have a significant impact. If not, I regret to believe it was only an encounter that he soon forgot in the back of his mind."

Even though she did not say it, she did believe that the meeting was special for her. Even if it was just for a moment, a prince had bothered to continue conversation with her. The fact that he would have kept going made her wound of loneliness feel a little less open.

She stood up, signalling the time of their departure. After grabbing their travel bags, the two of them left the room to join their parents. When they all set out into the field, the topic of a prepossessing Elven prince was left unspoken. But when Elenwë took her hand, Lilótëa knew that the thought of Nelyafinwë still lingered in both of their minds.