Chapter 14: Whispers in Starlight

Time swiftly passed like the smooth stream of a tree's liberated leaves being carried away by the zephyr. Even Lilótëa, who had no company for entertainment, did not deny it. It did not matter if Telperion shone bright or Laurelin's warmth was far from fading. Guests would stay if they wished, having no need to worry about what the next day held. In the late night ambiance, only the last few remained.

Earlier on, Lilótëa had joined her family for the feast. Though ever since her amusement with Findaráto and Artanis, she concealed herself within the grove, waiting for Nelyafinwë to find her. His letter promised that he would, and she believed he was an elf true to his word. She as well would not turn from her promise, nor let the chance to see him be of no avail. Lilótëa was thankful to her family, as they did not object at her request to extend their stay.

She stood from the ground, and walked out of the grove to gaze at the stars above.

Menelmacar shone bright above her, the constellation in the shape of a brave swordsman. In her solitary state, there were no disturbances-- Lilótëa's connection to her imagination only strengthened. The Vanya imagined the stars had voices that whispered to her, and she nearly thought it real.

Would her dear friend find her again, and join her among the stars?

* * *

When most of the guests had left, I felt the full impact of heavy guilt. At last, I was free to seek Lilótëa, yet I still regretted not excusing myself from Atar and my grandfather's company, nor did I ask Lintawen to cut our time short after our dance. Perhaps Lilótëa had given up on me, but even that thought did not stop me from heading towards our favourite grove. My mind would not rest easy until I at least looked for her.

I silently entered the canopy of nature, as if every delicate move could agitate the tree leaves. My feet stopped at the open patch of grass where Lilótëa once sat as she made her flower crown. The trees spoke only of themselves, giving no indication of a Vanya in their presence. She had left, and I only had myself to blame.

I bowed my head, listening to the wind as it blew my hair into my face. Soon I switched positions, my back against the wind. When I brushed the hair away from my eyes, my assumption proved to be false. The Timid Maiden of Grace stood beyond the copse, looking at the art displayed in the sky. My chest lost tenseness, and I appreciated my surroundings of nature once more.

My approach was tentative, as I did not wish to startle her serene frame. When she looked at me, the stars were reflected in her eyes.

"I apologize," I said in a hoarse whisper, "... for making you wait so long."

Lilótëa shook her head, and her gentle smile matched the soft tone of her voice. "Your current presence, Nelyafinwë, is enough."

She looked up to the sky again, and it embraced her with its calming, silver darkness. In that moment I heard the wind as a remnant of Káno's harp music that had long faded into the night. Knowing she was content, the remorse lifted like air within me.

* * *

Tyelko led the Ambarussa as they entered the valley once again, their curiosity winning over reason while searching for their brother. If Nerdanel found out about another late night escape, she would likely give a scolding harsher than the last one they received. Tyelko was unfazed by the memory and used their older age as a justification, for their last escape happened two years before. Eventually, he persuaded the Ambarussa to leave their beds and discover Nelyo's mysterious excuse for staying longer than the rest of the family.

"I don't see Nelyo anywhere," Telvo said to his twin. "Maybe he knows we're looking for him and he's trying to hide from us."

"You're being unreasonable," Tyelko said. "He wouldn't do that to us on purpose. He may have had an overdose of wine and accidentally strayed into the bush."

"I think," Pityo began, "as the oldest brother, he has the right to come home when he wishes. He probably just isn't ready to come home yet." He paused, as if expecting a verbal lashing from Tyelko after his next words. "And because of that, I'd like to keep our search brief-- it still makes me nervous coming here against Amil's wishes."

"You think she'll just manifest from the shadows?" Tyelko asked. "Don't worry, I'll offer to take the punishment if she actually finds out."

Then, in the silver light, Telvo caught Nelyo's unmistakable silhouette and shining russet hair. "There, I found him Tyelko! And he's with... a maiden, you see?"

"I don't think that's any maiden," Tyelko observed. "She must be a Vanya— no wonder Nelyo waited for us to leave."

Telvo knelt and crept closer to Nelyo and the unknown girl. "Could they be together?" he whispered.

"Don't ask me," Tyelko replied with a shrug. "Let's not get any closer and watch from here."

The Ambarussa nodded in agreement. Even Pityo had to admit... he did not want to leave anytime soon.

* * *

I do not know how long I stood with Lilótëa at the same spot, for time became unimportant. My senses became lost in the breeze, the stars, and her soothing presence. I was afraid to shatter the moment with a single word, so I remained silent under the ethereal atmosphere.

"Maitimo, I must leave you now."

When Lilótëa spoke, her caressing speech elicited shivers across my skin. Even though the statement was not what I wanted to hear, the new name left a sweet kiss on my soul. Maitimo. Not Nelyafinwë. Formalities are left behind...

"Of course. I should be going, as well." I looked at her, almost pleading as I focused on communicating the resurfacing guilt. "Please don't believe I had the desire to make you wonder if I had forgotten you."

"Do not concern yourself about it... I beg you."

She broke my gaze, and her lowered lashes suggested a concealed truth, as if she were the one at fault. Slowly, my hand reached for hers. It lingered with a feather touch; involuntarily, I had asked permission to comfort her with physical contact. Her quivering, starry eyes did not convey trepidation or an inquiry to withdraw. Rather, I sensed her surprise in my move, mixed with simmering delight.

My fingers wrapped around hers and pressed her hand gently. "Remember me, Caurëawen Lisseva." It was the first time I said the name out loud.

"I can not forget you... after you have noticed me among brighter stars, and came to me by your own choice." After pressing my hand in the same manner, she left to join her family. They waited for her in the distance, far enough to not recognize my identity.

Not five minutes went by when Tyelko and the Ambarussa joined me on my walk home. They did not ask about Lilótëa's relation to me, nor did I ask if they saw us.

End of Part 1