Defense Against the Dark Arts

"Draco, are you sure we did it right?" Hermione whispered in the middle of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Professor Merrythought was scribbling on the chalkboard, and somehow, Hermione managed to write down everything whilst conversing with the younger Malfoy. 'Younger', because it was rather strange for Hermione to call him by his faux name, 'Arcturus', but since his grandfather, Abraxas Malfoy, was in the same room as him, Hermione didn't want to accidentally refer to him. 

"Mr Arcturus, Miss Greystone, if you will," Professor Merrythought said firmly. 

"Wha-?" Hermione, for once, hadn't paid attention in class. Look where that got you

"Come on," Draco said, grabbing her wrist and standing up. He pulled her towards the side of the classroom, nodding at various girls who were casting him flirtatious glances. 

"What's going on?" Hermione saw fit to ask.

"Duels. Now. Merrythought is picking our partners based on our average grade." Hermione couldn't tell how it made the blonde feel, but a pained and worried expression was painted across his - dare she say - attractive features. 

"Don't worry, knowing you, you'll win your duel," Hermione reassured him. He gave her a small smile, but shook his head. 

"I'm not so worried about myself as I am for you," he replied. "We both know that you are one of the best students in this class, but unfortunately, we also know who the other best student is."

Hermione followed his gaze toward Tom Riddle. The tall boy was currently leaning against the wall surveying his surroundings while the boys around him, Abraxas Malfoy included, were laughing and talking. 

Riddle's eyes latched onto the forms of Hermione and Draco, and he made eye contact with the new girl. He offered a small smile, as if trying to reassure her.

Hermione found herself unable to look away. She studied him: the dark eyes that swirled with hidden purpose, the way he confidently carried himself, and the face that would be no more in a few years. It was only a few seconds later, when the first duel had ended with a bang, that they simultaneously broke eye contact.

~

"Now, three more pairs to go!" an enthusiastic Merrythought cheered. "Next, we have Mr Potter and Mr Thomas!"

The duel ended quickly with Thomas, possibly one of Dean's relatives, lost his wand to Fleamont Potter. Hermione had heard from a few Griffindors that Fleamont had had much experience in duels, as he was often provoked and made fun of for his name. 

"Now, our second-to-last pair: Mr Malfoy and Mr Arcturus!" Professor Merrythought announced. Hermione nearly snorted. It wasn't any consolation that the two looked almost identical, except for Abraxas' shoulder length locks.

Draco and Abraxas bowed to each other before they cast their first spells. 

"Stupefy!"
"Confringo!"

~

Hermione didn't pay much attention to Draco's duel. She was too busy thinking of spells, curses, hexes and counter-curses. 

Irritatingly, Malfoy had to be right again. She and Riddle were the only two who hadn't dueled yet, which meant that they were to duel last.

"Excellent duel!" Merrythought exclaimed, clapping. Many other students clapped as well, and a few cheered. Hermione saw Draco handing Abraxas back his wand, which meant that he had won. "Where did you learn to cast spells like that, Mr Arcturus?"

"Well..." Draco trailed off, looking desperately in Hermione's direction. Hermione suddenly realised that he had forgotten the story they had agreed on. Homeschool, she mouthed to him. "Mine and Hermione's parents homeschooled us, making sure we were prepared if we were ever attacked by..."