The Goblet of Fire

"Wake up, Greystone," a female voice snarked. Hermione could tell, from the voice, that it was Walburga Black, one of the girls she shared a dormitory with. Also known as Sirius Black's mother, and one of the leaders of Tom Riddle's fan club.

Hermione didn't even have to look up to known that Walburga was standing by the mirror, admiring her own appearance. Hermione had to admit that Walburga had the ability to make herself quite pretty.

But only if she used pounds of makeup and all the beauty spells known to wizardkind.

Hermione begrudgingly pulled herself from beneath the covers, taking a moment to straighten herself.

"You know, you're never going to get Tom in the way you've been trying to for ages now," Walburga mused, grinning at her. Hermione only rolled her eyes; she had no time to worry about such pettiness.

"Say," the female Black continued, "are you a pureblood? Because Tom would never even go for a half-blood, much less a mudblood."

He is a half-blood, idiot, Hermione thought, annoyed at the other girl's pureblood mania.

"Well?" Walburga turned away from her reflection to face Hermione. "What's your blood status?"

"Do you really think a muggle-born, or even a half-blood, could become as powerful as I?" Hermione demanded haughtily. She intended it to cone out as a rhetorical question that allowed others to assume her blood status without having to tell an outright lie.

"Well, now that you put it like that... Mind not. If you want see Tom get chosen, you better hurry. Patricia's already left with Patrick, her brother, Cass met her boyfriend in the common room  -don't look when you get there - and Kathlynn is probably working on her potions somewhere. Don't know how she got sorted into Slytherin. She would fit in with those stupid Ravenclaws," Walburga snorted. Hermione also internally snorted, but it was aimed at Walburga, who used 'stupid' to describe Ravenclaws, a house known for its superior intelligence.

Walburga finally finished admiring herself when Hermione came out of the bathroom.

"Don't you have anything better to wear?" Walburga whined. She scowled at Hermione's clothes before composing herself once again. "Never mind, that is not to be discussed in this situation. But if you're coming, I recommend wearing something...better. Especially if you entered."

And with that, Walburga swept out of the dorm.

~

Hermione entered the Great Hall just as Headmaster Dippet stood up to speak. Hermione could see the students from Durmstrang sitting at one end of the Slytherin table, while the students of Beauxbatons were split between Ravenclaw and Huffflepuff.

The heroine made a bee-line for Draco and Abraxas, whose bright hair stood out, especially since they were sitting together.

"Hey guys," she greeted them, sliding into the seat next to Draco.

"Morning, 'Mione," Draco replied, just as Abraxas said, "Hey, Hermione."

"Did you enter your name in the Goblet?" Hermione questioned, curious.

"Yeah," the Malfoy heir murmured, shrugging. "Thought I'd give it a shot. You?"

"You'll see," she answered easily. Just like her answer to Walburga's questioning about her blood status, she didn't give a direct answer, but enough to persuade them of her meaning.

Abraxas whistled. "That's either confidence or a definite 'no'. You, Draco?"

"Yeah, I did. Why not? I mean, my wandwork isn't nearly as good as Hermione, but I think I have a shot."

"Debatable, but I might have a chance. Tom asked me to join with him, and I agreed."

Hermione calmly sipped her pumpkin juice.

"...and- Well, you've seen him. He's probably the best in out year."

"Yeah, that he is," Draco agreed. He looked like he wanted to say something else, but at that moment, Professor Dumbledore tapped a glass, silencing the students.

"Welcome, students, to the re-opening of the Triwizard Tournament," Dumbledore announced, sending the crowd into cheers and whoops. "Now, first, a few words from our Headmaster."

The students clapped, but with less enthusiasm. Hermione tuned out to whatever Dippet had to say, focusing, instead, on calming her nerves.

"...Now, I think the Goblet is ready to make its decision, don't you, Albus?"

Hermione's stomach twisted. She grabbed Draco's hand for reassurance, and he gave it a tight squeeze.

Suddenly, the flames changed colour, and two scraps of parchment flew into Dippet's outstretched hand. He cleared his throat.

"From Durmstrang, we have...Lukas Karofiev and his second, Rafaele Karofiev!"

Everyone hooted and hollered for them as the two boys, who Hermione knew to be the top students, and twin brothers, stood up and walked towards the door which Dippet pointed them towards.

The flames changed again, and more pieces of parchment.

"From Beauxbatons, we have... Marie LeMay and as her second, Isabelle Laurent!"

Another round of cheers went up. Another two disappearing through the door.

"And our Hogwarts champion... Tom Riddle with Abraxas Malfoy as his second!"

The Slytherins went wild. Riddle stood up and smirked, as if knowing that he couldn't have not gotten it. Abraxas also stood up, but his face remained emotionless.

"Great job, Brax," Hermione said, forcing a smile. He smiled slightly at her.

"Thanks, 'Mione."

As soon as all the Champions left, and the Great Hall was quiet, Dumbledore stood up to speak again.

That was when it happened.

The flames turned red again, before another piece parchment flew out, right into Dumbledore's waiting hand.

Everyone looked around, wondering what it was. Dumbledore stared at the writing on it, perplexed. He looked around, and caught Hermione's eye. Hermione tried to fake emotionless and clueless. But it didn't take much faking. She had no clue how it had happened. This was not part of the plan.

Dumbledore tapped the glass again, making the noise die down. He cleared his throat.

"Miss Hermione Greystone and Mr Draco Arcturus."