prologue

The blinding summer sun of the Cuban islands glared in my jade eyes, causing me to squint ferociously. The golden sand under my feet scorched them, making me leap into the crystal sea. I spotted rays of all sizes created a vortex in a feeding frenzy. "This is it," I muttered to myself, "the last time I get to see this paradise." A hand then fell onto my shoulder- it was my mom. I hadn't spoken to her since she told me we were moving to Toronto. That was 3 days ago. "The boat will be here in a minute, we better get our bags and go." Ok, estar alli en un minuto." Well, not in English, at least. I put my gaze back onto the water. I heard her depart and I followed.

"Matthew. ¡Déjalos atrás!" She scolded, her brown eyes glistening in the Cuban sunlight.

"Sorry, sorry," I muttered.

She could tell I was thinking of my friends. They weren't the type of people you could leave and forget about. They knew everything about me and I knew everything about them, me and my girlfriend Calista are going to try long distance, even though I know it's going to fail. I don't sound like a Canadian, what if they don't understand my heavy accent? What if we end up getting lost? Mom took my hand in hers and smiled supportively, "Cálmate, Conejito"

I nodded, grinning at the nickname. I have to know clue why she calls me a small bunny? Oh well, she's my Mom after all.

"I expect you'll meet your forever girl," she said, thinking of who it could be.

"Mom!" I whined, "stop!"

Before I knew it we had reached the freezing cold land of Canada. A beautiful brown haired girl was stood next to another girl and a boy. Why were they all stunningly beautiful? Would this be like Bella Swan meets Edward? But from Cuba to Pickering? They were each extremely pale. The blonde hair girl approached me, "Seeing that you're extremely brown," she said in a strong Canadian accent, "that you're new. Welcome!"

The other two followed her suite, I found out that the other two were Aaliyah and Shawn, and the blonde haired girl, Echo. Shawn and Aaliyah were siblings. She lured me in like a moth drawn to a flame, her stunning beauty making me lose control. Shawn had a guitar-shaped bag on his back, he noticed that I was gazing at it.

"You play?" He and Echo asked in sync.

I shook my head, "No."

They both beamed, "We can teach you."

"I'm a Carpenter," Echo beamed, I thought she looked like Sabrina Carpenter.

"I and Aaliyah are Mendes siblings,"

It finally clicked. That's why her name struck me to my core, her; the angel I had met all those years ago finally stood before my eyes, not through a highly pixelated screen. I felt the urge to kiss her, it was screaming at me. I then shivered, her angelic laugh rang in my ears, "You cold Matt?" She chuckled, wiping a fake tear from her eye.

"Well its a bit different to what it is like at home." I looked at the snowy surroundings. I heard a crunch of snow behind me. I turned on my heels and saw the blurred outline of my mom. I pulled out a case and grabbed my blue-rimmed glasses. I put them over my jade eyes and the world came into focus. "Hola mamá. ¿Por qué no estás desempacando en el nuevo lugar?" The people behind me had a puzzled look on their faces.

"Oh bien. Lo estamos haciendo de la manera cubana" she replied firmly.

I turned back to them, "We're a Spanish family."

I gazed into Aaliyah's eyes. The felt like the home I'd been dreaming of. Shawn shuffled awkwardly and glanced at Echo. Aaliyah and I moved away and my Mom was disgusted.

"Matthew, you can't go falling for gorgeous girls in the first 20 minutes." She said, slapping my shoulder.

I winced as the Cuban side of her cake out. Aaliyah looked shocked and whispered something in Echos, then Shawn's, ear. They nodded, walked up to me and grabbed my shoulder.

"Would you mind if we stole your son for a few hours?" Aaliyah asked politely.

Mom nodded stiffly before picking up some more boxes. Me and Aaliyah hi-fived and I swear out of the corner of my eye see Shawn kiss Echo's cheek. I've only been here less than an hour and it already feels like home.

This should be the last of this chapter. I and Zak have done little bits each.

-Ameerah.