study your characters

Look I'm not saying to fill up an entire notebook full of stalker level facts about your character. But god damn you should know something. For example I love Danny Phantom (no shame), so I read a lot of Danny x Dash fanfiction. Now I get making Dash insecure about being gay do to the whole clíche about bullies being insecure about themselves and taking it out on others. But if you look at Danny's character he’s very casual and laid back on his human side. Most his problems come from him feeling like a sorta lone wolf him being the only (Not evil) ghost human hybrid. But in most Danny Phantom fanfiction that I’ve read Danny is super closeted and MEGA shy. That's pretty out of character for him. If I were to write a Danny x Dash fic (which I’m considering) I would have his best friends Tucker and Sam know, along with his sister and his parents kinda always knew. He wouldn't make a big deal about his sexuality so the majority of the school would be unaware but if you ask him he’ll tell you straight up. Also Dany isn’t shy. Sure he’s known to awkward and a mega dork but that doesn't equate shy. Also people try to depict his parents as mega homophobes. No. Incorrect. They’re scientist they would know better than anybody that being gay isn't because the governments putting shot in our water. Also Danny's mom is the sweetest person on earth and his dad is just SO dad like. When people write about them screaming at Danny calling him a fag I'm just sitting there like bRUH. All you have to do is pay attention to how characters react to certain situation to figure out how they would react to the situation in whatever literature your writing. The same thing applies to OC’s to. Make sure to always think about what the characters would do. Don’t just be “Oh this is a super sad scenario and I’m gonna have the character run away from everything and they fall asleep in the snow and almost die and blah blah blah.” Your characters. You can’t just make them do whatever you want. So yeah. Just pay attention to characters and always make sure that when you write that they never step out of character. Stay classy y'all.