Chapter 4 - Cliffs of Insanity

The dawn light glowed softly, a dull pink colour overtaking the sky overhead. You held your arms, rubbing them to try and warm yourself. The night air had been unforgiving, and you were freezing cold. Bruce had been kind enough to sit with you and make small conversation, although you had been reluctant to join in at first, you found Bruce to be quite a worldly man.

"Look! He's right on top of us. I wonder if he's using the same wind we're using?" Tony pondered, pointing once again to the ship that donned the horizon. Fear built in your stomach, not only did you have these men trying to kill you, but some random boatman as well? Could your life get any worse at this point?

"Whoever he is, he's too late!" Loki exclaimed, pointing to bulking landmass in front of the boat.

"The cliffs of insanity!" Loki announced, the boat finally pulling up near the shore. Loki grabbed a hold of both your hands in only one of his, clasping them behind your back.

"Hurry up you imbeciles, you must get up there quickly. Move that thing! And that other thing!" Loki exclaimed as Bruce tied the ship up as best he could before everyone got off the boat and stood before the cliff. You felt tension build in the pit of your stomach, panic taking over. Bruce suddenly transformed into the Hulk again, and Tony strapped him up with a harness.

"We're safe, only the Hulk is strong enough to go up our way," Loki explained as Tony helped strap him into the front of the green mass. You were next, Tony pulling the seat part over your head.

"Might want to hold on princess," He informed, causing you to loop your arm around the Hulk's shoulder in a death grip. Tony then strapped himself in, and you started your ascent.

"He'll have to sail around for hours to find another harbor to land in. Then he'll have to find us from there!" Loki grinned, the Hulk still hustling his way up the cliff side. You looked down at the splashing water below, the jagged cliffside sticking out and jarring your view. As you got higher, you realized how unsafe this method was, and fearing the worst, you laid your head on the Hulk's shoulder, shutting your eyes and wishing for only the best.

"He's climbing the rope..." Tony trailed off, watching the man in amazement, "And he's going on us!"

"Inconceivable! Hulk, faster!" Loki exclaimed, the Hulk only grunting in reply.

"Hulk was going faster," He roared, causing you to flinch. How you wished to be far, far away from this form of hell. The wind whipped around your quartet, feeling strands of your (h/c) hair mess themselves up.

"I thought you were meant to be this colossus, you were this great, large, legendary thing! AND YET HE GAINS!" Loki roared, disdain in his voice, anger protruding from his form even more so than you had seen before.

"Hulk carrying three, he only has himself," The Hulk replied, you mentally congratulated the beast for coming up with such a logical excuse.

"I do not accept excuses from something as weak as you, I'll just have to find myself another giant monster," Loki huffed.

"Good luck," Hulk huffed in reply, causing you to chuckle softly before you remembered how high up you were. They could easily let you fall, and then carry your body across the border. The thought sent a shudder through your body.

"Did I make it clear that your job is at stake?" Loki hissed. The Hulk only continued to climb, the lump in your throat also following suit. The man below continued to gain, and you caught sight of a blue suit. Finally, the Hulk got to the top, with Tony getting out of the harness first and helping Loki up, who immediately went to the large rope that you had been climbing. Tony helped you out of the harness next, and the Hulk heaved himself over the cliff side. The sound of snapping was heard, as the end of the rope slithered over the edge of the cliffside. You caught your breath for a second, before joining the three men who looked over the edge of the cliff.

"He's alive?!" You exclaimed, causing Loki to jump from the sudden announcement your presence. He quickly grasped your hands again, finding some of his own rope and tying them together. You winced as you felt it burn across your bare skin.

"He has very good arms," The Hulk grunted, also turning away from the cliffside. Tony, however, kept staring, growing interested in the man.

"He didn't fail, inconceivable!" Loki exclaimed, his face turning red. Tony turned to Loki, his brown eyebrow raised.

"You keep using that word, but I do not believe you understand what it means," Tony accused, an unamused look on his face. He turned back to the edge of the cliff, only for his eyes to widen.

"My god, he's climbing the cliffside!" Tony exclaimed, causing Loki to push you onto the ground. You huffed, the Hulk coming over and lifting you onto your feet. You muttered a thank you under your breath, the Hulk giving you a nod.

"Whoever he is, he's clearly seen us with the princess, meaning he must die brutally. You," He motioned to the Hulk, talking directly to him, "Carry her." He turned to Tony next, his instructions clear.

"We'll head straight for the Guilder frontier. Catch up when he's dead and buried. If he falls, fine; if not, slash him where he stands," Loki said sternly, Tony nodding at his instructions in reply.

"I'll do him left-handed, won't stand a chance," Tony grinned cockily, unsheathing his sword and tossing it from hand to hand flawlessly. You tried to get a better look, but you had been tossed over the Hulk's shoulder. You kicked your feet, trying to get free, before realizing you had no chance at all escaping through physical force.

"You know how much of a hurry we are in, don't you?" Loki asked condescendingly, rolling his eyes at Tony's antics. Tony only grinned in return, his pearly white teeth gleaming in the morning glow.

"It is the only way I can be satisfied!" Tony moaned in reply, bending his knees and flailing in his right hand in demonstration, "If I fight him with my right, it'll be over way too quickly!"

"Oh, have it your way then," Loki huffed, rolling his eyes once again at the brunette. Tony mocked a bow, standing up straight once again.

"Tony be careful! People in masks are fake, should not be trusted," The Hulk grunted, you bit your tongue, holding in any retaliation you had. Tony nodded vigorously at him, confirming his words. Loki walked away through the ruins, finally turning back to the group, narrowing his eyes at the trio.

"I'm waiting," He demanded, tapping his foot against the grey graveled ground. The Hulk grunted, and you felt yourself bump up and down on his back. You watched as Tony practiced a few moves, admitting to yourself that he was quite good with a sword. He caught sight of your gaze and waved at you as you left. Rolling your eyes, you also waved softly, causing his eyes to light up in amusement.

Word Count: 1227

Status: Unedited