Chapter 5

"Day one. Farewell. Say goodbye to everyone who is not at home.
Day two. Preparations. Get everything needed for the trip. Ok. Got it." Adelaide mumbled to herself as she walked over to Aurora's house.

Breath in.
Breath out

She walked the long-way because she didn't want to walk into Nicolas. She wondered if he was also going to war.

Arriving at the house she saw Aurora's mother , miss Jennifer watering their roses.

"Hi mrs Jennifer. Is , is Aurora home ?"

"Yes dear. Must I go get her or do you want to come in ?"

"Uhh. I'll come in. Thank you."

Her mother led her to Aurora's room were she saw her best friend sleeping.

Oh dear. I don't want to disturb her. But I have to say goodbye. - she thought to herself.

Her mother must have left because as she glanced over her shoulder, she saw nobody.

Lightly shaking her friends shoulder she tried to wake her.

Aurora snored a little but very softly it was almost cute. Almost.

"Aurora ...   Auroooooraaaaa... There's a frog on your head. "

Nothing.

Adelaide sighed. She walked over to the window and plucked one of the flowers that grew on the window still.

Walking back to the bed, she used the flower pedals to tickle her nose.

At first her nose just twitched. But eventually she started to sneeze.

"What tha...? "She asked looking around.

"Addy ? What are you doing here ?" She asked her friend who tried not to laugh.

"Sorry. I need to talk to you."

***************

"Austen. Your twin is here !" Mis Rose yelled to her son as Adelaide entered the house.

"Coming !" He said as he rushed to finish what he was doing.

"So. What brings you here today dear. Need more sugar ?"

She laughed, shaking her head.

"Not this time. "

"Hey Addy. Whats up ?"

"I want to go riding. Want to join ?"

"Sure. " and with that he left to go get his horse.

Adelaide greeted everyone in the house and said a kind word to them.

Right before she exited the room, Rose went up to her and placed a hand on her shoulder
"I don't know whats bothering you. But its all going to be ok. Right ?"

Surprised at this she stared at her, before she smiled in vain and said:" I know. "

Riding with Austen always calmed her down. She was very stressed that someone will  find out her plan and try to stop her. But everything seemed to go smoothly. At least so far.

"Whoa boy. Whoa "Austen slowed his horse.

She did too and they walked over to the shade of the trees.

"Alright spill it. What happened ?"

"How do you know something happened ?"

He gave her a look that said are-you-kidding-me and she sighed. Someone was going to find out eventually.

"Let me ask this first. Who of your family is going to war ?"

His face grew serious and he looked down.

Without looking at her he dismounted and sat on the grass near the tree.

She followed his example and sat next to him. They stared out into the field.

"Me.
I wont let my father die. "

He stared at her now.

"I ... You know ...  I cant let my father go. We still need him and if he were to go. I know he wont return. So... I'm going. "

She stared at her hands as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"You. Your going ? But. Your a girl. " his gaze went over her long hair and her dress.

"Yes. I'm a girl. And it's treason but... I have to do this. Don't you see. He'll die. I'm just a girl. He's the father of four. Well he looks after three but still. He has Tommy and Lisa to look after. And mother. I cant ," she looked away. How can she make him understand that she has to do this.

Austen sighed "I'm going to regret this. But. I'll help you. "

Her eyes widened.

"Yes. I'll give you a few of my clothes to borrow and help you when we get there. I'll help you. "

She squealed and hugged him. "Thank you thank you thank you !!!" She squeezed him one last time before she let go.

"Ok. Lets go get you boy clothes. " he stood up and mounted his horse. She did as well and they rode back to his house.

**********

"Ok day one. Completed. Day two. Here we come. "

She fed Snowflake and climbed into bed. This could be the last night she spend in her bed. And she was going to miss it. But she did it for her father.

* hope you still enjoy the story *