Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Richard Knight woke up early the next morning. His wife stood next to him as he stared in the mirror at himself.

Today is the day.

"I better go wake the children. They'd want to say goodbye. " Anne said before she turned and walked out of the room. 

He washed his face and got dressed. Just as he was about to open the window, he heard his wife scream.

His eyes widened and he ran out of the room.
As he approached the living room he heard his children cry.

"What happened !?  Whats wrong ?!" He asked them.

As he entered , he saw Lisa Tommy and his wife Anne huddled around the table.

He stepped closer and saw they held letters. Each their own one. With tears in their eyes they stared at him for advice.

He, still not knowing whats going on stepped closer. Lisa, his youngest daughter sniffed and stepped forward. She opened her letter and started to read.

"Dear Lisa"she sniffed," let me first say I LOVE YOU. NOW AND FOREVER. no matter what happens to me. Or you. You've always made me proud to see what type of person your becoming. Sweet, gentle, kind, loving. There is so much more I could name.
But darling, theres something you have to know. I'm going away for a wile. Its for a good reason. I promise. And I'm sure you'll find out when your ready. But I have to. And by the time you get this message I'll be gone already. I gave you a hug and a kiss on your cheek before I left. I'll miss you. Darling. Remember to always help where you can. Like you do.
Be kind but brave. Gentle but firm. Trust but don't be mislead  Beautiful but dangerous.

There is a daisy on my bed for you. I know its your favorite. There is a heart shaped necklace to. Hope you like it. 

I also hope you enjoyed yesterday. I know I'll always remember it. And you. Forever.

I love you my darling Lisa.

Your sister Addy
Xxx                                 " Lisa paused she had a giant lump in her throat but she swallowed the tears to finish the letter.

"Beautiful but dangerous. Thats her. Not *sniff* me !" She cried into her mothers shoulder.

Tommy walked over to his sister and unwounded her arms from her mothers neck. He let her wrap them around him and picked her up.

Mary Anne's face was white. She stared at her husband with shock and fear. Fear for her daughter.

"Tell me its not true !" Her father pleaded.

"please ..." He whispered looking at his wife.

"Dear Tommy !" Tommy cleared his throat. He still had Lisa on his hip but he had to read it.
"Did you know I wanted to bring Snowflake home so you can take care of her.  I did. Really.  Now. Every time I see her I'll think of you. -you and Lisa.
I never got the chance to say it to you in person but ...
I'm so proud of you. Helping other animals. Those who cant help themselves. Who does that? It takes immense selflessness to do something like that.
To allow them into your home, and take care of them. You are one wonderful person Tommy even if you dont think so.

Look after mom and dad for me. Your the oldest now. Be their rock. Their support. Their pillar. Be there when they need you and help them.
Care for Lisa. Make her feel like she can count on you like I know she does. Be her protector and friend.

DONT YOU EVER CHANGE WHO YOU ARE. You are perfect Tommy. With all the snakes and toads you carry around. I love you.

There is a little fox I found in the woods a day ago. Please look after it for me. He was cold and injured.

I love you Tommy. And always will.

Your sister
Adelaide
Xxx.                            "
Tommy ended his letter and tried to fold it up with the one had. The other were supporting his youngest sister who was silently crying on his shoulder. Soaking his nightshirt in tears.

He placed the letter on the table and wiped at the few tears that escaped his eyes.  

"No. It cant be. She... She'll die. She's not that stupid as to go to war. " her father exclaimed. He had tears in his eyes. His legs felt wobbly and he could no longer support himself. He fell to his knees and sat on the ground staring at his broken family.

"Is she mad !!"he yelled. "Why would she be so selfish. Why would she want to be a hero. Its not her place. Its mine! I'm suppose to die in war. NOT HER. Why ...?" He trailed of from his rampage. Sobbing.

Mary Anne sniffed, blew her nose and cleared her eyes before she started to read the longest letter of them all :

"Dear mom and dad.

You told me that you'll always love me. No matter what. And, well. I'm sort off testing that theory. Im not trying to hurt anyone. I promise. If I am. I'm sorry.

I really am.
But you have to understand. I'm young. I still have a chance. Dad. You don't. Not that your incapable. Its just that I'll never live with myself if something happened to you and I knew I could've done something.

Mom. You need dad. He's your life. He loves you and you love him. I can see it.

You complete each-other.

If one of you were to go away, the other would die with them. Even if not really dead.

I have put a lot of thought into this. It may not seem so but I did. And its worth it. Its worth it to save you. To save my family

Dad. Now you can fight off boys who go after Lisa. You can show Tommy how to shoot an arrow. You can love mom.

You can live me to. I know I'll always love you and mom.

But don't worry about me. I have Snowflake. And Austen. They'll help me. And just think of all the boys I'll see ;-).

{Adelaide drew a smiley-face}

I also kissed both of you goodbye.

And for dad I left Snowflakes first hunt. It was a squirrel. Mom helped. Its a necklace type of thing. You can put it on your neck. So that the piece with a wolf on (if you turn it theres a message ) can me next to your heart.
You don't have to if you don't want to.
And mother. I finished that apron you wanted. The deep red one. Its under my bed. Safe. And in one of its pockets I wrote down that song you always sang to me when i was little.

-yeah. I wrote it down.

Please don't be mad. Or sad. I'll come home sooner than you know it.

I lo e you both SO much.

Lots of love.
Adelaide
Xxx.  "

Mary Anne closed the letter and folded it up nicely. She was extra careful not to let her tears land on the page and smudge the letter.

Richard sat on the ground. He lowered his head into his hands and started to sob. His whole body shook as he wailed for his daughter.
His wife and two remaining children set down their letters and kneeled with him. Soon Mary Anne also started to sob and right after her Tommy.
Lisa -who has been silently crying the whole time, started to cry louder now.

As the sun came up from the east, the whole remaining Knight household sat in the dining room and cried.

*** A very sad chapter :'-(***