One

As she walked down the darkened hallway towards Mr

As she walked down the darkened hallway towards Mr. Ka's office, El thought about all she had done during the three months that she worked at the Retsnom factory. She had been in numerous conflicts with her coworkers. She could not help it if some of these humans that mainly worked first and part of the second shift hated her. However, she never got involved in their plans to defraud Mr. Ka out of money or participated in the stealing of the expensive robotic parts that they manufactured. She liked working at the factory because it was the only place Broderick Harvey did not own.

The disgustingly wealthy businessman thought that his money could and should get him everything that he wanted. For some unknown reason, he decided to pick on the destitute loner El Norry. She had never met this man until four months ago; she was working in an ice cream parlor trying to get enough money to buy a vehicle so that she could leave the town. El did well in school, but she could not go to college because she could not afford it. She had been on her own since graduating and wanted to make her way in the world. The plan was risky, and some called it dangerous, with monsters and demons living in the area now. El never had any problems with these different species. Her conflicts always began with humans, mainly Broderick Harvey and his need to have what he wanted.

Her dislike for him seemed to enrage him, and he focused all his time and money on her. El had involved the police and found out that that was not a smart move. His harassment only seemed to spread to others that knew him and accepted his money, and they continued his pursuit of her. El had moved three times in two months and did not want to run again because she would lose her job at Retsnom. This building, this place, was the only thing that Broderick could not control. The mummified Pharaoh Ka owned the land that entombed him and employed humans and monsters. There was a three-year waiting list to get hired. El was lucky she gained employment the day that she filled out the application.

"What did I not do that he knew about?" El searched her brain for all the incidents involving her coworkers but came up empty. Then, she looked up at the two Anubis men standing outside Mr. Ka's door. She walked up to the ten-foot-tall beings and began whispering to them.

"Am I going to get fired?"

The older of the two brothers, she named Gill, chuckled. "El, you show up 15 minutes early for work every day."

The deep raspy voice of the creature vibrated El's teeth. She waited for him to continue with his answer, but he just chuckled. El looked away from him and stared up at the one she called Jack. The creature shrugged his shoulders. El shoved her long ponytail off her left shoulder and then smoothed her hands over the brushed back hairs in the front and sides of her head. Usually, she kept her hair secured in a bun so that it did not get caught on any machine, but she knew that morning when Mr. Ka's secretary called her for this meeting, she could lose her job.

"I thought you two were my friends. Why don't you know what is going to happen to me?"

"El, we just punish things we don't deal with human placement; the witches and wizards do that."