Prologue

"Please join!" A voice called out from school as I came closer. It was Aichi, a member of Team Q4. A friend of...

I pursed my lips and stopped walking as I watched Aichi and his futile attempts to successfully hand flyers to Miyaji Academy students. Most of the students merely ignored him, seemingly disinterested.

"I'm looking for members to join the Cardfight Club! Please join!" Aichi continued, watching as a student dropped the flyer into the garbage can, and as he saw a few students stepping on his flyers without any concern, he briefly looked disheartened. Then he smiled slightly. "Please! I'm looking for people to join the Cardfight Club!"

It's as though nobody heard him at all.

I then felt somebody roughly bumping me in my shoulder, causing me to tumble over slightly. I turned around, but as I did so, another person bumped against me.

"Out of the way, freak." I heard one of them say as I regained my balance. I glared at their backs as they walked away from me, their hair swaying slightly as they laughed. One of the two turned around with her right eye closed. "You should just cover up that other eye for us, sweetie. That way nobody will see how much of a freak you are."

I clenched my teeth, and angrily replied, "Or maybe you wouldn't have to see me if both your eyes are swollen shut."

The other girl feigned fear, gasping at me in mock horror. "Do you hear that, Emiko-chan?"

Emiko smiled smugly, turning around and walking away with her friend. "It doesn't matter. The freak's not worth my precious time."

"Immature piglets." I muttered, glaring at her once more. I stood, and started to briskly walk towards them, ultimately bumping both their shoulder as they did to me earlier. They fell over, prompting me to hide my smile. I ran towards the school, stopping as I caught sight of Kourin with her group of fans following her.

Oh, I thought, tilting my head sideways. So an Ultra Rare member is in this school.

"Please join!" My train of thoughts were interrupted by Aichi's voice, repeating almost everything he had said earlier. "Please! I'm looking for people to join the Cardfight Club!" He was offering another flyer to whoever may take it.

And Kourin did, showing a genuinely interested expression.

Cardfight Club, huh? I smiled sadly and walked into the school, and heard a small piece of information that made me think of joining the club.

"Fine. If you can beat either of the members, Aichi or me, we'll know you're serious, and we'll let you join."

Maybe... Maybe I'll be able to talk to him again if I join. Maybe, just maybe...

A single tear escaped from my eyes as I ran to my class. They continued to fall despite my protests. Maybe if I play Vanguard again, maybe everything's returned to normal...

I continued to run until I bumped into a girl about my age.

"Ayaka." A girl's familiar voice rang through my ears. "Ayaka, are you all right?" She asked.

Misaki, I thought, hurriedly wiping my tears away. She attempted to help me up, but before she was able to, I stood up, looking at her directly.

Misaki made a look of concern. "Ayaka, are you crying? Have they bullied you too much? What..." Before she could continue, I shook my head vigorously. She placed her hand over her mouth. "Hey, don't tell me..."

Before I could hear more of her words, I ran.