Chapter 1

It had been several days since Aichi had started giving away flyers for his Cardfight Club. Although I have decided that I will not join, I can't help but think about it.

I sighed, looking at my avatar, recalling the day he gave it to me years before I left, and before he did, as well.

“Ayaka!” He called out as I walked away, following my mom into the moving van. I turned around, and saw him running towards me happily, holding a Vanguard card. Behind him, Miwa was walking towards me, too, smiling awkwardly.

As he stopped in front of me, he reached out and attempted to hand over a card. It was turned over. “Take it,” He told me, “It’s a farewell gift.”

I smiled at him. “You don’t have to get me anything.”

He beamed at me, his eyes conveying a mixture of sadness and cheerfulness. His smile was comforting, and it would definitely be one that I would never forget.

“I didn’t, really.” He replied, taking my hand and placing the card onto my palm. “I was just opening a booster pack and saw this. It’s like fate. It looked exactly like you, though this card looked a bit older. I was actually planning to keep this as some sort of keepsake of you, but I decided against it.”

I turned the card over, and I seemed to see the older version of myself. The card had the same pale pink hair, the same yellow left eye, and the same blue right eye. I curiously read the card’s name.

“Regalia of Cherry Blossoms, Konohanasakuya... I don’t think there’s a Clan called Genesis.” I muttered as I read the card’s information. “This looks like a new card.”

“It doesn’t matter, does it?” He briefly glanced at the card, and added, “She’s a beautiful card, isn’t she? Just like you...” Then he leaned closer, holding my head between his hands, and planting a kiss on my forehead. Then he smiled again, tucking a lock of my hair behind my ear. “That will be my keepsake instead. Goodbye, Ayaka...”

I smiled back, and held his hand. “Goodbye, then... Kai Toshiki.”

I shook myself out of my train of thoughts before sadness would overwhelm me. I resumed thinking about the Cardfight Club, looking sadly at my avatar.

Then I thought about both of us and our friends before, happy. Without any problems. Without having to see Ren change because of his PSY Qualia. Maybe that could happen again.

I stood, returning Konohanasakuya to my deck box, and left for school as I realized that it’s time.

I slowed down as I came closer to the physics lab, the room where the Cardfight Club is assigned to. I heard Misaki and Kourin cardfighting, and I stopped walking, my hand lightly clasping the doorknob. I sighed.

“This is it, Ayaka...” I murmured as I started to grip the doorknob tightly, but before I could open the door, it opened, and I almost bumped into a guy with glasses. Well... he did bump into me.

“He-Hey! Watch where you’re going!” He said as he tumbled down slightly. Then he looked at me, and he widened his eyes in a surprised look.

Before anybody could speak, I piped up, “Hi, I’d like to join your Cardfight Club. Would you mind if I...?”

“If you beat one of us, of course.” Kourin cut me off before I could finish.

I smiled at her, cocking an eyebrow. I looked at every one of them, and said, “Do I... have a choice?”