Chapter 1 - Discovery

She did not want the day to start like this.

The phone rang that morning at 2:45. She'd just been off shift 3 hours, after processing crime scenes, witnesses, victims, and suspects. The Grubbs County Sheriff's Department had scored big. They'd taken down a major meth lab, and some of the drug lords with it. There was a small body count, and Natasha never liked that, but more people were alive than dead, and a serious problem had been dealt with.

Now, she was awake, in her truck, coffee in hand, on her way to another crime scene.

A body floating in the lake was never a way to be awakened from a good dream; a good dream about Leroy, no less. A smile snuck up her face at the memory of the dream, and the last time they'd seen each other. She'd have to think on that later. Right now, she had a victim who deserved justice and retribution, even if it was posthumously.

They arrived to the usual sight of a crime scene: uniformed Police Officers, Firefighters, Emergency Technicians, and often times, the County Coroner. The Forensics Department was already on scene. At first, Natasha wasn't sure she'd be needed, but she had jurisdiction, at least for now, and she'd process her scene how she wanted it done.

Detective Billings greeted her with the usual “took you long enough” look. He was off yesterday. He didn’t know squat about her day and the fact that it hadn’t even ended yet.

“What we got, Bill?” She asked, shortening his last name. They’d worked closely on many cases, and he didn’t seem to mind that nickname.

“Female, age nineteen, white, floating in the water, but drowning does not appear to be the cause. She was dead when she was thrown in. No markings or bruising were obvious to start, but I’m sure they’ll surface when the M.E. (medical examiner) is finished with the autopsy. This feels like a case from “C.S.I.” except for the actual body in the water.”

“Okay. I’m sure we can get started as soon as we have a name to put with her.” Natasha determined to go first thing in the morning to talk with the M.E. so she could get on with her case. Right now, sleep sounded best. “I’ve gotta get some rest. Seven will come too early, and I’ve not been asleep more than an hour and a half since yesterday. I don’t think well without sleep, Bill. Thanks. I trust you’ve got it until then?”

“Sure thing, Natasha; see you in the morning.” He waved as she climbed back into the truck and drove back towards home. Normally, she would’ve stayed. She felt like a failure for not sticking it out.

***********************************************************

All Natasha saw in her dreams was the face of the girl. She seemed to be crying out for help. This made for a long night of little rest.

She knew she had to help the girl. First, she needed to know who she was, and then she’d start checking on the family, asking questions, talking to friends. She recognized her from the recent High School Graduation at Kendrick High School. Maybe she’d be able to identify her from the yearbook pictures. Small towns could be helpful that way; but small towns also clammed up whenever things got hairy, especially if the suspect is a good-ol'-boy, captain of the football team, mayor's son, type of person.

She was awake at 6:57. “Three minutes before the alarm. It figures.” She showered again, put on a pair of jeans, a white button down shirt, and her gun which she covered with a navy blazer. Her long dark hair was twisted into a bun and clipped with jaw clips to keep it from falling out. She only wore stud earrings to work, and usually no make-up. She saved that for dates and church. Grabbing a cup of coffee and a bagel, she headed for her truck.

Her cell phone; it was still on her dresser. She left the truck running and ran in to get it. It was ringing as she reached her room. She was already running late. “UGH!”