Chapter 5 - Fire

Natasha: I hope you are enjoying your day off. Tony Lyons came in today and gave a statement. If you wanna wait until Monday, that’s fine, but the people he is implicating in the Pharmacy destruction are definitely of interest to the case. Later ~ Billings

Bill: thanks for letting me know. Lee is in town. I was surprised too. Anyway, I will probably check in later in the day. Right now, he has me in a spa chair getting a pedicure. The manicure is next, so I won’t be texting for a little while. Let me know of any other developments. Thanks. Graves

“Now give me the phone. You are supposed to be relaxing.” Lee ordered. 

Natasha mock-saluted, and handed it over. “Yes, sir! Now, how about you? Are you going to get the same treatment?” 

His response was raucous laughter. “No. I’m going to sit here and watch you. Kinky, right?” 

“You’re such a sicko! I don’t see how someone scrubbing my feet fits that category at all. By the way, the team is in town. They’re providing some security for our witnesses, and the family that’s been upended by this unknown assailant. I think the Department is handling the weekend, though, so we should grill out or something tonight.” 

“Yeah, but then I don’t get you all to myself, love. Give them a call when we’re done here, and we’ll have them meet us at your house around 6? But, they have to leave by midnight.” Lee was teasing, but it was fun.

“A bit possessive, aren’t you?” Natasha was grinning at his attempts to be in charge. He was, but she didn’t have to tell him. The manicurist came and started on her hands. She leaned back and let an audible sigh escape. “Ahh! You need to come to town more, dear. I like this pampering junk a little too much!”

“Good. Get used to it! I plan on doing this for you quite often.” His devilish dimpled grin made her stomach do flips. She sometimes wished he’d just propose already. She was tired of living in two different places. Max had already said that his team could move around if needed. He had new guys and ladies on board. Lee was free to move if he wanted to. She didn’t think he wanted to. She was needed at the Department, especially since Amanda moved up to be with Paul.  So, impass? Yeah, they were there. It would all work out. She’d been married, and lost Aaron, but she missed having someone to snuggle with every day and to share the ups and downs that came with life. “What is it, Tash?  He burst through her thoughts like a ray of sunshine first thing in the morning. 

“Baby, it’s a discussion for another time and another place. Right now I’m gonna let you spoil me.” She smiled as best she could. She wondered if he ever would settle down. They knew they were meant to be together. Maybe he’d just been a bachelor for too long to ever want a structure like marriage. His hand on her chin interrupted her thoughts for a second time in less than five minutes. 

He dropped his voice so no one else could hear, except maybe manicurist, who seemed like she was tuning them out. “It’s bothering you, then it bothers me, and I don’t like seeing you frown. It doesn’t do anything for that gorgeous face of yours. What is it?”

“Seriously? It’s that your words and your actions, or lack thereof, don’t match. This being pampered thing is nice. The breakfast this morning was scrumdelicious, waking up with you holding me? That’s what it is! I want you, and I want you to hold me UNDER the covers. Now I’m being possessive, but I don’t just want a weekend visit here and a week at Tybee there, Lee. There’s more to this than I know. It just seems like you are perfectly happy being in a “boyfriend/girlfriend” status and never moving forward. Great! Now I sound like a whiny “settle down” kind of woman. I’m not trying to be like that, but you did ask. I guess it’s a woman thing. You make me feel cherished and loved. I never want that to go away.”