Waiting

For two years, we have been waiting for something to happen. Other than the occasional nomad passing through in Seattle, there haven't been any disturbances. However, I can feel that that's about to change.

It turns out that, when I shifted, I stopped aging. I will forever stay 16. I continued going to school and am now in junior year. Over the year that I have been a Tiger and the Aggwan, my boys have helped me a lot. They helped me figure out the full extent of my abilities, like the fact that I can mimic anybody's power if I'm within a few feet of them. They were there for the ups and the downs, the celebrations, and the tantrums. I still live with my dad, and I will until I'm supposed to turn 18, but the rest of my pride got a large house in the woods together. It's in the middle of the Cullen and Pack territories, and it's considered neutral ground.

Asher, Liam, and Ethan all stay at the house and keep an eye out on the town while Luke, the twins, and Miles all go to school with me. We keep to ourselves, like the Cullen kids, for the most part, but we still socialize with the other teens there. Today we are getting a new girl, Isabella Swan. She's Charlie Swan's daughter, my dad's friend. It's all anyone is talking about.

The morning went by quickly with the strange feeling I had taking all my attention. It was like a buzzing in my bones that I couldn't ignore. I could tell that it was my mind's way of saying something was coming, but I couldn't figure out what it was. The shrill bell pulled me out of my thoughts. Like always, Miles, Noah, Jackson, and Luke were all waiting for me. I greeted them with a tired smile that they returned and we headed to the cafeteria for lunch.

There were only a few people seated when we arrived, so we were able to swiftly grab our lunches and sit down in the back where we usually do, away from everyone else. The next couple of minutes went by in a blur of students rushing in the too-small room for food. What caught my attention was the beautiful brunette that I hadn't seen before.

"Hey guys," I spoke up, motioning with my head towards the door. "There's the new girl."

My boys all looked over to where she was in line to get food. We all watched her as she looked around, trying to find a place to sit when Jessica Stanley, the school's gossip, waved her over. After that, we all lost interest and looked back to our food.

"Who are they?" Isabella's soft voice drew my attention again. This time, however, I didn't look at her.

"The Cullens. They're Dr. and Mrs. Cullen's foster kids. They moved down here from Alaska a couple of years ago," Jessica, ever the one to spill stories, answered her.

"They kind of keep to themselves," Angela Webber said. She has always been a sweet girl, and I had no problems with her.

"Yeah," Jessica spoke up again. "'Cause they're all together. Like together, together. The blonde girl, that's Rosalie, and the big dark-haired guy, Emmett. They're like a thing. I'm not even sure that's legal."

"Jess, they're not actually related." Again, I liked Angela.

"Yeah, but they live together, it's weird. Okay, the small dark-haired girl Alice, she's really weird. She's with Jasper, the blond who looks like he's in pain." I couldn't keep the eye-roll back at that comment.

By this point, all the Cullens had taken their seats. Edward, the last one, was walking through the door, and I knew that he had caught the attention of Isabella. I zoned out the rest of the conversation and finished my mediocre salad.

It was in my last class of the day, art, which I had with Jasper and Alice, when it happened. We were all sat together in the back, which meant that I was near Alice. Both of us were hit with an onslaught of visions, all featuring Edward massacring his entire biology class, starting with one Isabella Swan. Just because I was the Aggwan and a Tiger, does not mean that I experienced pain. Having hundreds of images shoved in your brain is not a pleasant experience at all, and I envied Alice's ability to not feel pain.

Jasper was already on edge when we first started having the vision, but my groan of pain that I could quite hold back put him even more on edge. "Evy, Alice, what's happening?"

My brain felt like a balloon being filled with too much air; any more, and it would soon POP! I groaned in pain again. I slumped against Jasper, who was sitting right next to me, and felt like I was close to passing out.

"Evy?" Jasper's voice sounded tense.

"It's Edward. He's very close to losing control right now. I don't know what's going through his head, but every decision leads to him killing all the people in his class," Alice explained in my stead.

"Okay, but why is Evy in so much pain that she's about to pass out?" Jasper sounded even more concerned.

I could hear the sympathy in Alice's voice when she spoke, "His decisions are all flying by so fast that one vision isn't taking hold. They keep coming. She's still partly human, and her head can't take the hurricane of images."

After that, the pain got so intense that I couldn't focus on anything else they were saying. I could only catch glimpses of words here and there. I felt when I was transferred into strong, comforting arms that I knew belonged to one of my Pride members, I just didn't know which. I felt as I was deposited on a bed, and heard someone say, "You'll be okay, Evy."

The last thing that went through my head before I fully succumbed to unconsciousness was that Isabella was the danger that was coming.