Chapter 1

Swift was in Headquarters. From a distance, it looked as if he was playing with glitter, pencils, and stickers. But he was doing something that he didn't consider a game.

Swift POV

I'm hoping to ask Penny out for Valentine's Day this year. Only one problem- I think Rod likes her too.

I'm not letting him steal the girl of my dreams.

I continue to write my note on the inside of the card. I finish and put the card in my desk drawer. I exit HQ.

"Where ya going, Swift?"

Shoot.

"N-nowhere, Penny..."

"You suurre?"

I nodded, blushing, and flew off in my normal orange shirt.

I went to the nearest store.

-

I carried the box of chocolates into HQ and put it in my mini fridge. I got it on my own, and I knew it would be useful.

Minutes later, I flew out to the beach to visit Brody. Suddenly-

"Oof!"

I shook my head and looked around to see a cardinal with dark red feathers. She had blue eyes, like me.

"Hi..."

"Oh! Hi, I'm Swift."

"Peak. I'm new here. I was told to go here to train to become a new Cadet at Top Wing Academy. Do you know where I can find HQ?"

"Yea, speaking of which, I work as a Cadet in the air. And don't most female cardinals have white or grey feathers?"

"Yea," she replied nervously. "I'm different."

"Different's cool. Wait till the others meet you! Let's go!"

The two of us flew off.

When we got to HQ and I told Speedy, he let Peak stay. She was given a room that was just built and earned her dark grey wristband. Speedy said that she could take the role of a mountain/ rough terrain bird, and Peak was happy about it. Suddenly, Penny came in. "Hi Swift! Hi Speedy! Hi..." Peak laughed. "It's Peak. So, you're Penny?"

"Yea. The other Cadets, Brody and Rod, are on the beach. Here!"

Penny extended a kelp icer.

"Want one?"

Peak laughed nervously. "I'll stick to the sunflower seeds..."

Penny laughed. "That's what Swift and Rod say, too!"

I also laughed, but the fact that she brought up Rod worried me. 

Does Penny like me, or Rod?

~~