{5} The Boy Who Used To Live Here

"'A man of words and not of deeds is like a garden full of weeds," Hope and Skye were in what looked like child's bedroom. It was old and there were cobwebs covering everything. Hope and Skye were sitting in front of a chest, reading a poem they found. "'And when the weeds begin to crawl, it's like a bird upon the wall. And when the bird away does fly, it's like an eagle in the sky. And when the sky begins to roar, it's like a lion at the door. And when the door begins to crack... it's like a stick across your back.  And when your back begins to smart, it's like a knife inside your heart. And when your heart begins to bleed, you're dead and dead and dead indeed."

The girls heard a voice behind them making them jump, "Not exactly the most uplifting reading material," When the girls turned they saw their father walking toward them.

"It's like an old book of rhymes." Hope said looking back down at the book.

"There is a lot of weird stuff in here." Skye added looking back up at her father.

Klaus sighed a little and looked around the room, "You know, Hope, Skye, I'd rather you didn't play in here, actually. All the splinters and the dust," Klaus listed off. The girls just looked at him with innocent expressions. "And the bats." 

"There aren't any bats in here." Skye said. She tilted her head innocently not knowing why her father would think there were bats in here. She and Hope were in the room for awhile and they didn't see any.

"I've seen no evidence that your Uncle Elijah doesn't sleep in here, hanging upside down." Klaus said smiling. Hope and Skye giggled a little at his statement.

"Dad, was there a little boy who used the live here?" Hope asked. Klaus' face went blank and he walked over to the two girls, bending down in front of them. He grabbed the book that was in their hands and closed it.

"Come along, sweethearts," Klaus put the book back into the chest. "We can discuss ancient history another time." Klaus extended his hands out to the girls and they grabbed them, standing up. Before they got up completely, Hope grabbed something from behind her. Then, the three of them walked out of the room.

***

Marcel huffed as he paced around in the circle of candles. Marcel stopped when he heard two pairs of footsteps and the door to his cell opening. He turned to see Hope and Skye walking toward him slowly. "Hi," Hope and Skye said to him. Hope held up a figurine, "I think this is yours."

"Hope, Skye," Marcel looking down at them. Hope tossed the figurine to him and he caught it. Marcel looked down at ti and then back up to the girls, "I haven't seen this in a century."

Skye looked at the figurine too and then back up to him, "So, you're the little boy who used to live in our house."

"Once upon a time, I lived here with your dad." Marcel said confirming what Skye said.

"He keeps you down here because he thinks you want to kill him," Hope stated. She glanced up at him again, "Do you?" Hope asked.

Marcel bent down slightly so he could be eye level with the two girls. "Listen, I will tell you anything you want to know. Okay? If you get me some blood from your dad's stash."

Skye rolled her eyes, "We're seven, not stupid."

Marcel chuckled, "Right. You know, you're both also pretty courageous. Come down here and talk to a stranger."