Summer of Qrow Chapter 3

Summer of Qrow chapter 3

5 years have passed

Outside of the home of Taiyang. Taiyang and Yang are sparring. Qrow and Ruby watch. Yang runs at her father. Taiyang, chuckles and steps away every time. Yang gets angrier and more determined each time. Yang finally lands a punch right in the abdomen. Taiyang is still chuckling but is taken back; he loses balance and falls. Yang runs over and jumps on his chest. Both laugh. Qrow and Ruby are laughing too.

Ruby: (dashing around Qrow) Yang is going to be a great hunter. I want to train too. I want to kill monsters and fight the bad guys. I want to be just like you Uncle Qrow, and Dad and Mom and Yang.

Qrow: It is really dangerous...

Ruby: (still dashing around) I want to train! I want to be a hunter. Please! Please Uncle Qrow! Will you teach me? Dad! Dad! Can I? PLEASE, PLEASE , PLEASE! I'm going to be a hunter too. And go on missions like Uncle Qrow and destory bad guys and kill monsters. Can you teach me? Can you? PLEASE!!!

Taiyang: Maybe when you are older like Yang is now

Qrow: No! NO! it is too dangerous. She will end up(aside to Taiyang) like her mother.

Taiyang: Who's ready for lunch?

Both girls: ME! ME!

They run into the house and Taiyang follows. He takes them to the kitchen and sets them down to eat. Qrow remains in the yard. He paces back and forth. He reaches into his coat and pulls out a bottle.

Taiyang: (coming out of the house) we need to talk.

Qrow: (takes a big gulp) there is nothing more to say. She is a child. She doesn't know what she wants.

Taiyang: You should tell her the truth. She will want to know. She is determined. You can't stop her. She should be trained....

Qrow: (cutting him off ) No! NO! Absolutely not! I left her with you for protection. My misfortune should not be hers. I don't want her anywhere near this. She has to be kept out of it! She is my daughter....

Taiyang: (cuts him off and snatches the bottle from him) You were right, when you said you were no father. SHE IS MY DAUGHTER. I AM THE ONE WHO WATCHES OUT FOR HER; I AM THE ONE WHO FEEDS AND CLOTHES HER. I PROTECT HER AND I KEEP HER SAFE...

Qrow: (cutting him off) I AM PROTECTING HER. I HAVE GONE ON OZ'S MISSIONS FOR HER. I AM A HUNTER AND I HUNT DOWN THOSE THAT WOULD HURT HER. I BATTLE THOSE THAT WOULD TRY TO DESTROY HER AND I HAVE KEPT MY DISTANCE FOR HER. I DON'T WANT HER INVOLVED. I DON'T WANT HER TO SUFFER THE FATE OF HER MOTHER. I FIGHT SO THAT WE CAN END THIS AND SHE WON'T HAVE TO! (snatches the bottle again and drops to the ground)

Taiyang: (a few moments pass, he sighs and sits down next to Qrow) I don't want either of them involved but they will come after her. We can't count on this ending before that. She should be able to defend herself. I don't like it any more than you do.

Qrow: (taking another big gulp) don't tell them. I will tell her what she needs to know when the time comes. Until then, I will fight for her; for all of us. I will protect them as a hunter. You protect them as a father. We can not let what happened to Summer happen to them.

Taiyang: Agreed

Qrow: I have to go. Another mission.

Taiyang: (Rises and turns back to the house) Are you sure you don't want to say goodbye? (he turns back to Qrow but he is gone. We see a bird flying away.)

Taiyang enters the house and sits down in the kitchen with the girls. They are talking excitedly. Outside the window, we see another bird with red eyes. it watches them for a few moments and then flies away.

Another 5 years have passed

We see Qrow in the office of Ozpin as they discuss yet another mission

Ozpin: You are the only one I can trust with this

Qrow: Where has any of this gotten us? We still have not been able to stop her!

Ozpin: Salem must be stopped. She will be stopped. We need all of the maidens on our side. We need to protect every relic.

Qrow: How do you know you can trust them?

Ozpin: What choice do we have? I have someone else that I want you to look after. She is young but has great potential.

Qrow: I am not a babysitter! (tosses his head back and gulps another drink from his bottle)

We hear a knock at the door.

Ozpin: Calls out, come in my dear! Here she is; the young lady I was just telling you about

Winter: Hello, sir. I am very pleased to meet you. I have heard a lot about you.

Qrow: Oz, you can't be serious!

Winter: I am very serious! I might be young but , (walks around him with hands folded behind her back) I am quite certain I can take you. I told Proffessor Ozpin that he should just let you retire.

Qrow: (laughing, amused. rises) Ok. Let's see how you do, with a REAL mission. Let's go!

Qrow and Winter exit together.

Later that same day, Qrow and Winter are battling Grimm in the forest. They are both engaging several at once. A Large wolf Grimm is clawing at Winter; while a two headed snake slithers toward Qrow spitting venom. Winter raises a large sword and cuts the wolf beheading it. Qrow splits the snake and smashes both heads. Both are standing back to back surveying the area. They are finally alone.

Qrow: You did alright kid.

Winter: Who are you calling kid?

They walk off together.

End of chapter 3