Summer of Qrow Chapter 4

Qrow and Winter are on yet another mission together. It is clear that they have respect for one another and have become at ease with each other. They have traveled a long way and both are tired.

Winter: This looks like a good place for the night.

Qrow (dropping and pulling out his bottle): This will do. (he takes a big gulp)

Winter (snatches bottle): What are you doing? Why do you insist on getting sloppy drunk every night?

Qrow: I don't get sloppy drunk! And, it's my business! (snatches the bottle)

Winter: It is my business! I'm trusting my life to you; we are partners; that makes it my business!

Qrow (gets very close to Winter): I take my business seriously. I can handle myself. You can trust me. That's all you need to know.

Winter: So, there is a reason....something that you are hiding from in that bottle....

Qrow: Ms. Perfect, so stiff and serious. Here (shoves the bottle in her hand), you can use this! Loosen up!

Winter (gingerly sips from the bottle): I'm not so stiff all the time. (She is now sitting down next to Qrow)

Qrow gets up in her face. He reaches up to touch her face gently and brushes her hair from her eyes.

Qrow whispers: I'm not hiding all the time either

Winter: so you admit, you are hiding

Qrow: maybe i don't talk about stuff...maybe i don't want to talk...

They lock lips and he kisses her gently but passionately. She doesn't resist but remains a bit cautious and hestiant.

Winter whispers: maybe, if you want something, we need to talk about it

Qrow kisses her again and says, "I am talking. shut up and listen"

Scene ends with them embracing

Office of Ozpin at Beacon about 6 months later

Ozpin, Winter and Qrow are all present.

Qrow: Look, we've been down this road before. This isn't getting us anywhere!

Winter: I think it is worth a shot.

Ozpin: This time we will have an army. I have invited Ironwood to join us today. He has been assembling troops....

Qrow: Not that guy! Oz, can we even trust him?

Winter: What do you have against him?

Ozpin: He doesn't trust anyone. He has become a one man army and wants to keep it that way. But we can never win this alone.

Qrow: I had a team once. Do you remember that?

Winter: What happened?

Qrow: Do you want to tell her? No? I didn't think so! Suffice it to say that Oz's brillant plans always go awry! Sometimes people get hurt. A lot of people get hurt. I don't want to endanger lives. I risk only myself.

Winter: He is right. We can't win this alone.

Winter walks over to Qrow who is guzzling from his bottle and snatches it away and smashes it!

WInter: The only way we win this is together! You have to be sober!

Qrow: Don't blame me when this fails! You owe me a bottle.

there is a knock at the door

Ozpin: that will be Ironwood. Come In. Come in. Come sit and tells your plans

scene closes with all sitting around discussing the new army that will help to fight against Salem and her followers

Qrow and Winter are alone in the woods again. There is a campfire and tent. They are sitting together by the fire.

Winter: So what are we going to do?

Qrow: You mean, what are you going to do.

Winter: No...we are partners...more than partners...aren't we?

Qrow: You don't want to be ....my partner. Terrible things happen to those that get ....too close to me. (he pulls out a new bottle and begins to drink)

Winter: What?! (snatches the bottle) Talk to me! Tell me what happened! Stop hiding in this!(She throws the bottle)

Qrow and Winter both stop suddenly. Qrow jumps into battle mode; he pushes Winter behind him and both have armed themselves. We see them staring in the direcction of the bottle. They stand back to back and turn slowly looking around. Both are completely silent. Suddenly, the enemy appears and the fight is on!

Several grimm have charged in as well as some of Salem's army. Qrow and Winter are surrounded but they quickly defeat most of their foes. Only the two legged ones remain. Tyrian attacks and Qrow pushes Winter back.

Qrow: Stay back, I've got this! He swings his scythe at Tyrian. He misses. Tyrian laughs and baits him.

Tyrian: Long time, no see! You won't get the best of me this time.

Winter stands back as Qrow requested and watches but is prepared to defend Qrow. As Qrow and Tyrian exchange blows; a female attacker approaches Winter and she turns to defend herself.

Tyrian jumps with his stinger pointed at Qrow. He stabs and misses repeatedly. Qrow laughs and cuts Tyrian with the scythe. Tyrian retreats in pain. Qrow turns to see Winter is still under attack and is losing. He rushes to her aid and cuts her attacker. The battle is finally over and the enemy has left. Winter is injured and bleeding. Qrow turns to help her.

Qrow gently: Let me see

Winter allows him to look her over. She has a bad wound in her abdomen and is unable to stand. Qrow tends her wound. He quietly whispers, " Okay, easy now. This could sting a bit. I've got you. Take it easy. Don't try to move." He gently lifts her and carries her.

Winter moans a bit. Qrow kisses her gently. He puts her down gently in the tent and fusses around her to make her comfortable. Qrow whispers, " You shouldn't be here. This will have to do tonight but tomorrow, I getting you to the hospital and to safety."

Winter quietly moans," I'm okay. I can handle this." She pauses and notices Qrow's somber mood. "You lost someone....someone very special. A member of your team? Your family?" She waits for a minute or two for him to respond. He remains silent. She pleads with him, "Talk to me. I'm going to be ok."

Qrow, sighs deeply and finally speaks, " I lost everything. I can't lose what I have left."

Winter sighs. " I'm ok. You won't lose me." She reaches for Qrow's hand and holds it until she falls asleep. Qrow stays up, weapon ready to defend her at the first sign of trouble. He watches and paces all night. The scene closes with Qrow watching over the sleeping beauty Winter.

It is morning and Qrow has delivered Winter to safety as promised. She is now in a hospital bed with Qrow by her side. The nurse hands Winter a cup of pills and some water to wash them down. Winter takes it and thanks her. Nurse tells her to call if she needs anything and leaves the room.

Winter turns her attention to Qrow. " Can we talk?"

Qrow, " Nothing to talk about. I want you to go home. I want you to stay safe. I've got this."

Winter: No, no. I am safe ... with you. I won't leave ... I won't let you send me away.

Qrow: No one is safe with me. I am bad luck. I don't want my misfortune to become yours. Go home!

Winter: We're partners

Qrow: Not anymore. With that Qrow leaves.

Winter sobs quietly. She stares out the window. Outside the window, we see a black bird appear. It rests on the windowsill for a few minutes watching as Winter stares and continues to sob. We see a tear in the bird's eye and then it flies away..