Part 2

The next two days resulted in nurses poking and prodding me until I wished I'd succeeded with the injection. Happy visited and nearly had a heart attack. Rhodey called. Pepper refused to leave, watching me like a hawk. She told them, but they deny it; I can just tell. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but now that she knows everything...I'm not about to chance it again. She acts like I'm a flight risk - like if she leaves, even to use the bathroom, she'll come back to my lifeless body lying here. Can't blame her, I guess.

They agreed to release me, and they drove me home to the Tower. Pepper took me straight to my - our - room, and put me on restricted access to Friday and the lab...figures. It's kind of funny, really. It reminds me of all the times she forced Jarvis to shut down because I didn't come to bed. I don't feel any different, but there's this little glimmer of hope somewhere in me...something that she sparked. It's enough to get me out of my shirt and into bed without a fight.

Pepper sits on top of the comforter, once again parting my hair comfortingly. I sigh and ease back into the pillows, resting my eyes.

"So I need to talk to you about something," she tells me after a moment, and my eyes snap back open again.

I sigh again. "Can't I just sleep?"

Her lips tug up and she's looking at me with amusement. Despite what she thinks, I really am just tired and want to go to bed. I guess trying to take your own life cures insomnia, because that's all I've been doing since the episode.

Pepper must realize, too, because she lowers herself onto the bed and curls into my side. At first, I'm hesitant; it's been a while. Then I welcome it...her warmth, her smell, her soft skin... She traces her hand around the circle scar on my chest and exhales.

"You know, you don't have to stay," I tell her. "I'm not going to spontaneously combust or something."

She flashes her eyes up at me. "No offense, Tony, but I don't think you're in any shape to be left alone right now."

"So, once I'm better I can have some personal space?"

"'Better'?" she asks me as if it's a sin.

"Yeah. Trustworthy."

She sighs again, but this time it isn't in content. "Tony, it's not like you're...broken. But...this isn't something that goes away overnight."

I groan internally. She's right. I still feel it calling to me, but not as strong as before.

"Fine," I grunt, not feeling up to the conversation, but she pushes forward.

"I want you to come with me to India," she tells me.

"Uh, cows and food that's gonna burn a hole in my stomach?" I joke. "Nope. No thanks."

"No," she smirks, "my cousin is getting married, and I think it could be...sort of a retreat for you. Something to clear your head."

"You don't look Indian," I deadpan, and she raises an eyebrow once I give her a lopsided grin.

"She moved there for work, smart ass. Ugh, I'm going to miss the peace and quiet," she teases, but then her smile slowly fades. "I mean...I-"

"Pepper," I dramatize, deciding to wrap my arms around her in a tight hug around her torso. "I'm not gonna do anything, okay? Please stop worrying about me."

"Tony, four days ago you recorded a video saying goodbye to me...so excuse me for caring, but if you want me to believe that, you're gonna have to work with me."

I sigh. Again, she's right. I fucked up big time.

"So, India?" I force out, faking an excited tone.