Part 4

Pepper and I took a much needed rest after the wedding.  The following days were, let's say, fun filled.  Besides taking her back that night and screwing her brains out, we also spent some quality time figuring out where in the new facility we'd keep the baby's room, since the suite wasn't exactly built for it.  Long story short, I gotta tear down a few walls and redesign some stuff.

Happy called before we headed back to the United States on the jet, giving us the details on when he would be packing up the last boxes of the Tower.  He forwarded the article and accompanying video feed of Parker's achievement, updating me on the news of how he saved his class.  What do ya know, the kid's got game.

When the jet touches down, Happy's waiting with the car, escorting us back to the Tower for a last look around before we settle into the new facility upstate.  Pepper's seated next to me in the back, and the window is up; Happy's taken the protective uncle thing a little too far with the kid and now it's rubbing off on me, since I need watching...from what Pepper says.  I agreed to it, so whatever, but for now, we have some private stuff to discuss.

"What's that?" I hear Pepper ask after I've pulled up the video on the holo display in the car.  "Is that the kid?"

She's watching with me as he swings from the Washington monument and disappears back into the world.  One thing I can't figure out - what happened to get them in that situation to begin with?

"Yeah," I answer, shutting it down.  "Saved his class on this field trip thing."

"He picks up fast," she comments.

I let the conversation fizzle out as my mind wanders to the move again.

"You know, I've been thinking," I begin, turning in my seat to look at her.

"You always start like that and every time I can feel whatever plan it is you've come up with unraveling before you even start it."

I smirk at her sarcastic comment and place my hand on her knee.  She blushes, but doesn't lift her head from her tablet.

"What if I just tell Rhodey?"  I try to sound hopeful.

"No," she simply states in return.

"But it's...come on, your mom knows."

"My mom knows because I couldn't tell you."

"You told her before you tried to tell me," I correct.

She flicks her eyes up at me and tries to keep a straight face, but then she's grinning ear to ear.

"I just wanna make sure before we start telling people," she tells me, covering my hand with her own.  "I mean, I'm sure, but...a lot has happened and I just think we should check up and make sure everything is still okay."

"Fine," I pout sitting back in the seat.

She's right.  I had Friday pull the latest pregnancy stats and theoretically, we should have the sex at this appointment she's making.  An in house call.  Then we can tell them.

"You know, I appreciate how excited you are," she murmurs, leaning over to steal a kiss.

I grumble in response but can't help but smile.  Wow.  About a week ago I didn't even know the meaning of the word...

Then I figure, why not start practicing on this whole 'how to raise a child' thing?

"Hey, uh, I think I'm gonna call the kid.  You know, give him a pep talk, that kinda thing."

As I pull out my phone again, Pepper raises an eyebrow and shakes her head.  She's onto me.

"Okay, I'll just be over here rearranging your meetings so we can make this ultrasound this afternoon..."