Part 3

After making it to the ceremony on time, Pepper is back to clinging onto the arm of my white attire. The red scarf hangs down to my waist, and I've tucked my sunglasses away. She's not letting me separate from her for anything, and I'm not sure if it's her insecurity of how her entire family seems to be happily married or if she's still watching my every move. To be honest, I was utterly surprised that I had the morning to get ready by myself, but I guess family comes first. Shows me where I'm at, right?

I'd love to recap the wedding itself, but it was a lot of up beat nonsense that I know nothing about, and even though the tempo was a little different than a normal American wedding, I'm still easily bored. I fidgeted with my hands and occasionally felt a squeeze from Potts, but she had no clue what my internal debate was over. To be honest, I always wondered what our wedding would be like - I guess I'll never know now. There's no way she'd ever want to reinstate our engagement, especially not to the public or her family.

The reception follows, and now we're standing at the bar waiting to grab some drinks after the dinner was served and devoured. I lean over casually, but the red head is violently searching the room for anyone she knows.

"Pep, it's like you're embarrassed of me," I finally say as the bartender hands me a scotch and a martini for her.

She accepts the drink as we wander back to our table and forces an uncomfortable smile. "They made us the guests of honor for a reason," she answers, setting down her drink.

"Because you're close to the bride?" I ask, and suddenly, my scotch is being ripped from my hand as I go to take a sip with a disapproving glare from Pepper.

She sets it on the table, too.

"Yes, that and none of them believe I'd really wind up bringing Iron Man here."

"Pepper, it's been nearly two decades we've known each other," I realize. Fuck, that's a long time. "They really don't believe you work for me?"

"No," she corrects, "they don't believe that I'm dating you."

Did she just say dating?! She did. She said it. I'm definitely not imaging that, right? My heart is fluttering, and call me gay, call me fluffy, or hopeful, whatever. I'm thrilled.

"Did you just-" I question, but as she begins to open her mouth to make an excuse, we're interrupted by the bride herself.

"Katie!" Potts exclaims, and I take in the woman next to her as they hug.

She doesn't have the same fiery red hair, but the light freckles as still there under her darker brown locks. They have a similar face, but the eyes are different shades, too. Each their own unique beauty, and a breathtaking family tree, apparently.

"Congratulations!" I hear her say, and then she's back to holding onto my arm. "And I want you to meet-"

"Holy crap, it really is you!" the bride states, shocked, and nervously extends a hand to shake.

"Here and in the flesh," I joke, greeting her with my own.

I flash her my familiar Stark smile, the same grin I used to give the girls before seducing them to come back home, before I'm rudely shoved by Pepper at my side. I whip my head toward her, then swallow hard and clear my head. Right. This is her family. This is Pepper. I need to make a good impression. Especially after...

"Tony put up a good fight, but I told you I'd get him here," Pepper spoke, running her hand down the front of my chest.

I can't help but shiver lightly. God, this woman. Showing me off like a trophy.

"I can't believe it!" Katie says, still not sure what to say to move past the fact that Tony Stark is her wedding guest. "I know you said you work for him, but, Virginia..."