Chapter One

My life was indeed a charmed one. My father, filled with pride yet so kind. My mother, with her melody like voice. My sisters and I, close as ever, connected by the joy of music and laughter and others' happiness. Yet, that was the life of the young girl I used to be. No idea that the real world would bring such a harsh future.

My mother died when I was at that young age. My father blamed the humans, as he made his kingdom believe that they were the ones to fear and place hatred on. Losing our close bond, my sisters and I weren't as close as we were before. Nothing mattered, as we were left on our own. As for me, I wasn't completely alone.

Over the years, I befriended another mermaid, a girl named Cecelia. While my sisters were alone and absorbed in silent reading, I was taking a swim with my companion.  We were inseperable. She told me her life and I told her mine, yet mine was a bit more interesting. Being one of the seven princesses and all.

I was the girl most people expected from a girl. I liked it that way. On the outside, I was obsessed with looks and shopping. The only thing I was missing was an adoring merman. But, we will get to that part later. I wasn't as special as my sisters, since I isolate myself from the group to do other things. Either talk to Cecelia or go on with my passion. Singing.

After my mother died that one tragic day, I couldn't get her voice out of my head. She was a person to admire and adore, my role model. My father had almost every memory of her destroyed, yet her voice was what I remembered her by. I was forbidden to sing in the castle, since it brought tears to everyone's eyes in memory. Yet I wasn't one to forget a lost part of my family, so I always escaped to the shore to sing. This was my little secret, since if my father found out I would have my head on a plate.

The only other soul that knew about my little visits was Cecelia. She hasn't and won't tell on her life. Though she knows, Cecelia has never come with me to the shore. Whether it be because of the humans, or because of a busy schedule, I always perched myself on a rock and sang alone.

Most people think that the royal family is perfect. The father stood tall, the mother so graceful. The children polite and kind and generous. Well, here's a wake up call. My father, our "mighty" king, was and still is a huge helpless crybaby. My mother is dead. My sisters, the perfect princesses, hate me. I never fit in since I was just about the only one with curiosity and that couldn't balance 35 books on her head while she swam. Everyone in our family knew it, but we were too busy running a kingdom to do anything about it. So we live on watching the isolation grow for about 12 years. I was 8 when my mother died, and my 20th birthday was soon. Not that we would celebrate it.I would probably swim out to the dropoff with Cecelia and talk about how I've wasted another year of my life in that stupid castle. Or I could just stay in my room and read. Escape to a life full of adventure and deama that appears around every corner.  If I was noticed enough, my father might have snuck in a mumbled "happy birthday" before going somewhere else and ignoring me again. My father has the decency to mumble, while my sisters just look at me like a piece of rotten kelp. Yeah, those perfect puppet dolls think I'm the rotten one.