Chapter Three

Taking a last glance, my father walked out of the room with a cold look on his face. I slowly stopped my struggling and sunk to the floor, wondering if the shivering silence was real or just in my head. I laid my head in my hands and felt warm tears slip out of my eyes. My family was cruel, but this was beyond cruelty. This act of destruction was, monsterous. I got up from the floor that I was crying on and exited the room.  I wasn't going back there. I wouldn't stand my family's lack of understanding anymore. I found myself sitting on a flat stone, staring at a view of the kingdom I once called my home. With one more deep breath, I turned away and would never look back.

Swimming away from home, I was constantly wiping away tears that blurred my vision. Distant merfolk waved in my direction. I ignored them, not in hatred of them, but in the hatred of them being under my family. I wasn't exactly sure of where I was going, but wherever it was, I'm sure it would be where I belong. Yet I wondered, will people miss me? Will people notice that princess Alana is gone? Will the second eldest daughter of our kingdom be missed? I snapped out of my daze to find myself in a farmiliar place. One where I know no one wil dare travel to drag an extra princess back to her royal prison. Plus, I can sing here. I perched myself on my rock, and had the sea shore sway to the sound of my voice.

My throat hurt by the time I was finished expressing my horrible life to the world. Even though I was in pain, I was extremely relaxed. A weight on my shoulder was lifted with every verse. I was about to sing the song mourning my music box, when a male voice startled me. "You have a very lovely voice." I slipped off my rock and fell into the water, yet I felt a strong pair of arms wrap around my waist and pull me to the surface. A human, male, was next to me. My father would kill me if I cared anymore. I was about to croak out a "hi", but ti felt as if my throat was on fire. "Are you alright?" The man asked. I nodded my head, rubbing my throat. "Oh, well my name is Stephan. I'm the coastguard for this beach." he said. I looked around, seeing human families splashing and swimming. I smiled, wishing I could be this happy and carefree. But I couldn't.

I looked back at...Stephan, and got to see him more clearly. Tall, muscular, some would say the man of a dream. Brown hair that perked up in the front. Brown eyes that made you think of dark chocolate. Lips that curved and looked soft as rose petals. I held my breath to keep from sighing.

I saw him examining me as well. I woudn't say I looked too bad today. My black hair wasn't as perfect as I hoped it would be, but I didn't expect to see anyone of high importance today. I had brown eyes that sometimes looked black as the night sky. I was a bit thinner than some say I should be, but it didn't bother me. I looked back into his eyes that met mine. He gave a slight smirk. "Okay! Now that the staring is over, how about getting a bite to eat? You can tell me why you were singing." I was about to say yes, when I remembered. I was a mermaid. I choked out an excuse. "I can't. I-I, uh, have to find my earring. It fell off." I was telling the truth, but hiding my little secret. I went underwater, got my earring, but instead of going to say goodbye, I left. That was too risky, staying and talking to a human. I was scared, yet in my mind, I was actually hoping he would show again tomorrow.