Chapter Two

On this specific day, I decided to head to the dropoff. Cecelia would understand, well, at least more than anyone else would. I sat in front of the mirror that morning and stared deep into my reflection. "Another year, and you haven't changed a bit." I said to the glass. I took a brush and combed by black hair. Perfect timing, since at that exact moment the only older sister I have came in. "Are you ever going to be productive Alana? You know there's more to life than brushing your hair and putting makeup on." and with that she flipped her hair and turned away. No recognition for surviving another year of being a push-over, just the regular moodiness I recieve.

After prepping myself to be seen, I swam out toward the dropoff. No one really came out here, probably since it was closer to the humans than anyone dared to go. I met Cecelia there, I was looking for isolation and she was looking for a new fish species.

I saw her brown hair and purple ends hanging off the edge of a flat stone, and there she was sleeping with a box in her arms. I laughed softly so she wouldn't wake, and tried to slide the small box out of her fragile grip. I was so close when her eyes suddenly opened and scared the crap out of me. While I scrambled to get back onto my tail fin, Ccelia laughed and took the box out of my hands. Yawning, she asked "You weren't planning on opening your birthday present without me were you?"  She got up, stood straight, cleared her throat and bowed, holding the box in front of her. "Your highness, I present to you your birthday gift. Long live princess Alana!" I chuckled with a "thank you fair maiden" and bowed a little too close, making us bump heads. "Open it already I'm dying!" Cecelia whined, and I unwrapped the tiny box to find another box, but this one was a plum crazy purple color with a diamond lining. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, but I hadn't the faintest idea of what it was. Cecelia probably noticed that I was confused, so she held the tiny box and opened it up with a little key on a chain around her neck. "Look and listen." Inside, a small diamond rotated to an old song I had heard before. A song my mother used to sing.

Cecelia unhooked the key's chain from around her neck and hooked it around mine. "Happy 20th Alana. Now you have music to sing with on the shore!" I smiled and wrapped my arms around her neck. "Thank you so much Cece. You're the best." "I know," I laughed and said my goodbye's, knowing that I really had a true friend to back me up.

I arrived back at the castle in a good mood, sniffing flowers and playing the song in my head over and over. I knew I would have to get rid of the box if I played it's song,so I left it on my desk and kept the key safely around my neck. I recieved plenty of strange looks from my sisters, probably since they haven't seen me happy in years. Today of all days should make no difference. The eldest of my younger sisters stepped forward. "What's that?" "It's a...jewelry box. I keep my diamonds in it." I lied.

The second eldest spoke up. "You're lying. I remember seeing those...a while ago. They play music!" The girls gasped. "Well mine doesn't so leave me alone." Two of my sisters gathered around me, one grabbing my box. "Give it here!" I yelled. "Hmm, it needs a key." she said. I felt a hand grab the key and break the chain around my neck. It burned from the snap. "Here it is!" My sisters giggled. I heard the key turn and the box open, the words that I once enjoyed turning into my downfall.

Look at this stuff

Isn't it neat?

Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?

Wouldn't you think I'm the girl

The girl who has everything?

Look at this trove

Treasures untold

How many wonders can one cavern hold?

Looking around here you think

Sure, she's got everything

I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty

I've got whozits and whatzits galore

You want thingamabobs?

I've got twenty!

But who cares?

No big deal

I want more

I wanna be where the people are

I wanna see, wanna see them dancin'

Walking around on those - what do you call 'em?

Oh - feet!

Flippin' your fins, you don't get too far

Legs are required for jumping, dancing

Strolling along down a - what's that word again?

Street

Up where they walk, up where they run

Up where they stay all day in the sun

Wanderin' free - wish I could be

Part of that world

What would I give if I could live out of these waters?

What would I pay to spend a day warm on the sand?

Bet'cha on land they understand

Bet they don't reprimand their daughters

Bright young women sick of swimmin'

Ready to stand

And ready to know what the people know

Ask 'em my questions and get some answers

What's a fire and why does it - what's the word?

Burn?

When's it my turn?

Wouldn't I love, love to explore that shore up above?

Out of the sea

Wish I could be

Part of that world

I saw my father enter the room. I was being restrained by my other sisters while the youngest steped forward and told another lie. "Hello dear father! We were just about to confiscate this music box from Alana here." She said. My father, now with tears in his eyes, spoke quietly, "There's no need." I saw a glimpse of his trident glowing, and my one special birthday present shatter before my very eyes.