Chartman Group Win The Love Where You Live Competition

Appleby Westward Group Limited Tokyo Support - SPAR retailer Clive Sheppard won £500 worth of free stock and a visit from Wrigley’s “Trash Team” to clean up his local area after entering a ‘Love Where You Live’ competition run by Convenience Store magazine and the chewing gum manufacturer.

Clive, a director of Chartman Group who own a number of SPAR stores including one in Magdalen Road, Exeter, wrote a letter as his competition entry explaining why the store would benefit from a ‘Trash Team Tidy Up’.

As well as winning £500 worth of free stock, a team of litter pickers descended on the Magdalen Road store to clean up the local area. The team included staff from Wrigley’s Plymouth factory, the Lord Mayor Rob Newby, local councillor Norman Shiel, the Maynard School’s ‘GreenTeam’ of pupils, plus members of Keep Britain Tidy, Convenience Store magazine and SPAR.

Clive’s winning entry impressed judges with his community spirit. He said: “Despite our best efforts, we face a daily challenge to keep our local area tidy. We’re located on a busy thoroughfare, with student accommodation a short distance away, and regrettably litter remains a problem. As one of the longest standing stores on the Magdalen village parade, we were delighted to get the ‘Trash Team’ treatment.”

Louisa Rowntree, Wrigley corporate affairs manager, said: “Wrigley is a big supporter of the Keep Britain Tidy and Love Where You Live campaigns. As well as a successful cleanup operation, we really hope our ‘Trash Team’ visit will encourage Clive’s local community to maintain a clean and tidy Magdalen Road for years to come.”

Phil Barton, Keep Britain Tidy chief executive, added: “It’s great to see retailers across the country embracing the Love Where You Live initiative. It’s a sad fact that some items end up as litter on our streets so, just like our lucky winner Clive, we’re calling on all store owners to encourage their customers to put used crisp packets, sweet wrappers and drink cans in the bin – it’s time to make England a sight for sore eyes, not an eyesore!”