Awakened

“Oh, Rose, I’ve been waiting for you for such a long time

“Oh, Rose, I’ve been waiting for you for such a long time. I’ve been kind of missing you,” a voice, cold as ice kept saying, as she circled me like a prowling wolf. I could see the bloodlust in her red rimmed eyes, eyes that were once emerald green.

I flinched as I saw the beautiful face, now deathly pale.

“Didn’t seem like it,” I replied, “Or you wouldn’t have hidden from me for so long. Confess that you actually felt guilty for taking this step.”

“Oh no-o-o-o,” she said dragging out her words, “Why do you think that I should be repentant?”

“Because you’ve turned yourself to the darker side. You’ve given up your soul, the only immortal entity in you,” I said through clenched teeth, still trying to free myself from the ropes binding me.

“I gave up my soul for immortality. Who needs a soul, when you can live forever? My life was all about pain and suffering. The darkness, the side effect of the force of spirit magic running through me, was driving me insane. I was tired of crying, tired of hurting myself deliberately, over and over again. Death, is better than that life,” her voice was cold like the edge of a sword.

“But, I thought after what all we’ve been through, you’ve learned to control your magic. You were advised pills to subdue the powers in you. You were the queen of the Moroi world. I could’ve never imagined that you would drink someone dry to awaken yourself,” I replied, disgust evident in my voice.

“When you were bonded to me, my shadow-kissed guardian,” she gave a one-sided smile which made me shiver, “I was perfectly fine. But you revived and broke free from the bond, leaving me alone to cope with all the darkness. Who cares if spirit had the capability of granting life? It was causing my death, slowly and steadily.”

“I have my own life. Why would I continue dragging the darkness from you? I too have the right to lead my life free from having to bear half the burden of your insanity,” I countered.

“Exactly, Rose,” she bared her fangs, “That’s why, I chose the way which would be best for all. I chose death, I chose immortality, I chose to be a hunter, rather than staying in the fear of being hunted, continuously. They were plotting against me. I did it all to escape from my enemies, both within and outside.”

“But you’re killing innocents for your survival. The lives you’ve taken, don’t they remind you of the lives you had granted once? Me and Dimitri, you revived us from death,” I stole a quick glance at Dimitri, bound and staring straight at me, his face betraying no emotions.

I was sure that he was chalking out strategies to escape from here.

Dimitri had come to rescue me. But the Strigoi had outnumbered the guardians. All the guardians had been killed in the gory battle. Only we were spared.

I saw Christian, who was bound too, looking at Lissa, his face pale. It was painful to see the person you love, as the creature you hate the most.

“Innocents,” a cold laugh shattered the stillness of the night, “No one is innocent in this world. You’re too naïve to believe that some goodness still resides. It simply doesn’t. And truly I was reminded of you many times. So I distanced myself from you all. I didn’t bring you all here. You walked into my den yourself. And now that you’re here, there’s no going back.”

“T…This isn’t you,” a frail voice said from the other side.

“No, this isn’t me. It’s better than me, my love. And I want you to join me for eternity,” In a jiffy she was before Christian.

She looked at me before pressing her lips to his neck.

I looked away a prayer on my lips, hoping against hope that she doesn’t awaken Christian then and there.

The taste of dark power surging through her, had blinded her to every considerations. She was nothing but a predator now.

Another laugh sounded. She kissed his throat and was back before me.

“I so enjoy this power. I’ve never felt so alive before. Everything is clear. I’m fast and strong. Who cares for that weak, Moroi queen, ready to please her subjects and the council. I’m a Strigoi, the queen of myself,” she said, moving closer to me.

“This feeling is all an illusion. It’s a myth. You’re dead. Come back to us, Lissa. We can restore you.” I pleaded.

It broke my heart to see my friend awakened.

“Why don’t you all come to me?”

Before I could protest, her fangs plunged into my neck.

I screamed.

800 words completed...

A/N Written for the orange belt contest for #writetorank by action

Since the plot matches so I'm continuing the story. Lissa is Rose's best friend, the Moroi Queen. She possessed a magic different from the elements of fire, air, water and earth. She had a life force called spirit. It has its disadvantages because spirit causes build up of darkness and  insanity...

Lissa had cut herself multiple times to escape from mental agony. Rose was her shadow kissed guardian(who had been brought back from the world of death.)

But when Rose's bond broke and she could not draw the darkness anymore, leaving Lissa to fend for herself. Thus she chose to turn Strigoi to give up her magic. She turned evil to live life.....

Hope you like it... Pipigrin teamhathaway KashishBelikov