Many meetings

As she lay in fragrant salquë on the banks of the rushing sírë, she learned the names of everything around her from the song. It seemed to her that every single thing she could see had its own special tune, and it all blended into the beautiful music that freed her voice and those of the others nearby. So enrapt with the song of Arda, as she had come to know the land in which she now dwelt, her eyes drifted closed once again. This was bliss.

Suddenly, she felt a presence move in to block the star-light filtering through her eyelids. She listened closely to this new being because this song was strange. It seemed as though she could hear two strains of song so closely interwined that they sang as one. She opened her eyes, two Quendi stood over her. They seemed a matched pair, male and female, tall and slight with dark eyes and hair. "Amatúlië! Nányë Tata. Mani naa essa en lle?" the male said, and she found that she understood their language for it was the language of the music of Arda as well.

Silence stretched between them as she listened to her own music for the answer. "I will be called Tindómiel," she replied. Being stolen from her reverie, she glanced around for the first time since the intrusion and noticed a large number of Quendi where there previously had only been 18 pairs. There must be near 100 of them now, all tall and slender as was she. However, they seem to stand in three loose groups, the smallest of which all had golden hair. This was a strange sight, all the Quendi who has awoken with Tindómiel had hair of sable like the sky. Tata stood with his wife, at the head of one of the groups of newcomers to address her.

Tata directed a pointed look at the leader of the golden-haired party, Imin, who just shook his head as if revisiting an old decision. "Well, Tindómiel, you will join with my people and we will settle here for a time, alongside the people of Imin and Enel, while the others awaken."

Tindómiel began to stammer out an answer, unsure of this new group nor why they were treating with her as if she were some sort of leader, but the words died on her lips. Behind Tata, a pair of gray eyes pierced her blue ones, and the world fell away. More than that, she heard a melody accompany hers, a pale shadow of how Tata's sounded with his wife, Tatië. Who was this newcomer with glossy hair, darker than the night sky and eyes she was drowning in?

Without her realizing anything had changed, suddenly this new Quende was kneeling at her feet. "Cormamin lindua ele lle, Tindómiel. Nányë elyë."** With a gentle smile, Tindómiel tentatively reached out to brush the silken black hair from his fair face and gently touch his cheek. Finally she spoke, "But who are you sweetling? I don't believe I have had the pleasure before now."

"Oh but, Tindómiel, I have been near since the beginning. Whereas you became enrapt with the song, I became enrapt with this perfect creature with hair like the stars above. I am Lómion, and I have been waiting for this moment since I first glanced down from the heavens and saw their beauty kindled at my side." Lómion gazed into her eyes with an intensity not at all proper for their present company.

Tindómiel let her long, thin fingers drift from Lómin's cheek to trace the soft lips these lovely words were spilling from. "I don't understand. How could this be that I didn't hear your music before now if you have been near as you say?"

Interrupting her thoughts, Tindómiel heard who she thought was Tata's wife sigh happily. "Oh! To keep finding lasting true love everywhere we go! Illuvatar's plan to awaken us in pairs is a great one."

The name Illuvatar sounded suddenly very familiar to Tindómial. "Illuvatar. It is he who started the music. Behind every melody I can hear his name."

Tata stepped towards the new couple. "You are quite correct, child. Illuvatar is The One, the father of all. Do you swear to Him and to your people that you will take Lómion to wed? We, the Firstborn were put upon the earth in small numbers and matched with mates to fill the world with beauty."

Tindómiel glanced at Lómin, who now stood beside her with a protective arm around her shoulder. Did she really have a choice?

-------

Quenya words and phrases:

salquë: grass

sírë: river

Arda: Earth

Quendi/Quende: Elves/Elf

*Blessed arrival! I am Tata. What is your name?

**My heart sings to see thee, Tindómiel. I am yours.