Chance meetings

A suffocating feeling of unease rested upon Tindómiel's breast at all times. Quendi continued to disappear, and although she had learned enough from the guard to not be utterly hopeless at self-defense, Lómion would barely let her out of his sight. Always he was with her, whether she was gathering herbs, tending a child's scraped knee, or delivering a baby -- although for that, thankfully, he remained in an adjacent room. This should be welcome, she loved his presence usually, but she could not help but to think all this doting might be because he wanted her to bear his child. She had felt him reaching out during their love making, but to given a child required both Quendi to reach out to an unhoused faer.

She could not yet give him that. The unease grew.

It wasn't only the fear of being abducted causing her unease, Tindómiel also felt something looming over them. Something would soon take place that would change their very way of life. Perhaps the other Quendi did not feel this, but she could not beget children in the face of such uncertainty. However, as Lómion would point out, some of the first-born children were now nearing majority. They could have been given children and had them mature in relative peace. It pained her to deny him so, she could hear the strain in their song and wondered if it would ever be the same.

----

The first herald of change came in a flash of white while Tindómiel was gathering herbs in the forest. Lómion was nestled in the roots of a great oak a short distance away, whittling a flute out of a fallen branch, completely unaware. Tindómiel quickly readied her bow and notched an arrow, bent low in the undergrowth and began stalking toward the flash of white. She had made it barely ten steps when a soft rustle behind her announced Lómion's arrival, his face grim and his hunting knife drawn. "What has upset you, melissë? I looked up from my flute and would have lost you save seeing your hair glint in the starlight from between the trees, and I overtake you only to see you ready for battle," he whispered, lips barely inches from her ear.

"I am not sure. I saw a flash of white moving rapidly through the forest. I would have thought it a horse, but the trees are much too dense for a creature of that size to gain much speed. It seems to have gone to the south east, and I mean to follow," she closed her eyes as if listening and a frown pulled at the corners of her mouth, "I fear it may be the hunter, and the others must be warned if that is the case. However, I hear no upset in the forest. I would expect the trees to groan in the presence of such an evil and yet they do not."

Lómion hooked a long finger under Tindómiel's gently pointed chin, tilting her face to look into her blue eyes which were open wide in fear, catching pinpricks of light from the stars overhead. He pressed his soft lips to her brow in a gentle kiss. "I would like for you to know that I do not in any way condone you risking yourself in such a matter," he whispered against her forehead, and punctuated with a sigh as he pulled back and gently squeezed her shoulder, "but, I also know that you will persue this with or without my blessing so I will accompany you. If this is indeed the hunter, we shall meet our doom together."

Tindómiel smiled. "One of these days you will trust me, sweetling, if I have to break the delicate noses of every hanwe in our village. I welcome your company on this quest to meet our doom," she deepend her voice in a fairly ridiculous impression of Lómion. He frowned. She brought her lips to his nose in a quick, playful kiss. "You are so grim, melindo. I love you despite it, one day we will again have untainted joy."

She disappeared into the bushes, Lómion close behind. It turned out to be fortuitous that her husband accompanied her, as he used to hunt for the village and therefore had some skill at tracking. The tracks in the loamy ground did, in fact, seem to be a horse, as unlikely as that might be. The tracks lead to a small stream admist the trees and ran alongside it for few furlongs.

As they walked around a bend in the river, they found their quarry. They were face to haunch with a giant white horse, its bridle was richly ornamented and the metal upon it glittered in the starlight, it stamped the muddy ground of the riverbank and shook its head, bringing their attention upward to an intricately carved bow with an arrow notched and pointing directly at their faces. Tindómiel was still carrying her bow and raised to her full height in a challenge. The stranger wore worn but supple leather boots and a dark, slightly weatherstained cloak with golden embroidery that glinted in the starlight as the wind caught it. His raiment was dark green and brown, the colors of the forest under the stars, and he was much taller than the Quendi. "Who are you, stranger? Are you the Hunter?" Tindómiel demanded, the stranger did not answer but looked upon them completely enrapt. "Will you not speak and answer for your crimes? You will answer for our stolen brothers and sisters, either with your words or on the tip of my arrow!"

The stranger laughed.

----

The stranger dropped his bow and jumped from the horse, extending his hand towards the two Quendi, "Come, come, darling! We shall have peace! The Children are more fiery than I expected. I know not of which you speak regarding your brethren, but I am not he which you seek. I am Oromë in your tongue, I was sent to seek you by my brethren, for Ulmo had heard of your coming through the rivers that rush to the sea. We have waited for you since before the beginning of Arda. We heard Illuvatar sing your song as we sang the song of Arda and have awaited you since, this world we came to and built for you."

"You created the song of Arda?" Tindómiel skeptically extended her hand to tentatively touch Oromë's palm, and she heard it: a song deeper, richer than any she had ever heard; slow and yet full of impossible trills. She fell to her knee, "Please forgive me, for in these days of doubt I could not see clearly. I mistook you for The Hunter that has been plaguing us, stealing away our children, our brothers and sisters and they are never seen again." Lómion was altogether more mistrustful of this stranger. He stood silently by watching the scene unfold and when his wife knelt, he placed a hand to his breast and bowed his head out of respect.

"Nay, child! You needn't bow to me. But know that I am known as The Hunter, and what you tell me disturbs me greatly. I believe you have need of my aid in this dark hour. Show me to your village!" Oromë said as he helped Tindómiel from the ground.

Tindómiel smiled and made to reply, but Lómion began more quickly, "As my wife has said, these are days of distrust amongst our people and fear showing a stranger to the only area in which we are safe. We are ruled by the Three Fathers. Let us bring them to you under the northern eaves of the forest so that they might make a decision for our people." He wrapped a protective arm around Tindómiel's waist and pulled her in close.

"That is a fair request. Go now, I will await you under the northern eaves. Namarië, sweet children," Oromë raised his hand in farewell as the two Quendi stalked back through the forest.