Meeting the Ancients

Slowly their settlement began to shift, in the center a large fire pit was built, with shelters crowding around, encircling it. Tindómiel and Lómion did not move their tiny shelters, they remained on the outskirts of the settlement overlooking the lake. They remained betrothed and lived separately yet, Tindómiel believed moving into the sea of wedded Quendi would offer nothing but unending scolding about denying her destiny by delaying the marriage. Tindómiel thought that most of the scolding was well-meaning, at least, since the village still often relied on Lómion to start fires for cooking and warmth, although she had yet to find her place.

It was not long after the village settled down, that Tata left to meet with the other Fathers, Imin and Enel. There was much chatter around the village as to what this could mean, for the three Fathers did not often meet. Enel and Tata were in close communication -- indeed, sometimes the Nelyar would join the Tatyar on hunting trips for larger game or fellowship around the fire though they lived separately, but Imin and the Minyar were altogether reclusive. They rarely even left the eaves of the forest and did not encourage visitors. Some of the elder Quendi from the first groups awakened seemed to think that the meeting meant they would be moving soon, that it was time to awaken some more and grow their peoples.

Tindómiel had had quite enough of the conjecture and gossip around the fire, as well as the scrutiny the inya heaped upon her personal choices when she sat amongst them, but she knew not how to fill her time. She had discovered that she was a mediocre weaver at best. She fashioned some roughspun garments for herself and Lómion, and although capable of keeping the chill at bay, they were altogether unlovely. This distanced her further from the other inya, who were content to sit around the fire to gossip and weave. Indeed, since settling here, the inya had discovered all manner of words to thoroughly discuss everyone's comings and goings. It wearied Tindómiel, being the odd one out.

Lómion was yet again off on an extended hunting trip. She had begun to think that these trips were his way of giving her the space she needed to end their betrothal period and finally wed. She appreciated this act of sacrifice on his part, she knew he did not relish being apart from her, but now it left her in desperate need of company. She found she missed his slightly crooked smile and glittering gray eyes when they would speak. It didn't seem to matter what the subject, he always had a smile dancing just out of sight when she was around. Tindómiel smiled warmly to herself as she remembered their many talks about nothing under the stars, dipping their feet in the cool waters of Cuiviénen. Her face heated in a vicious blush when she remembered locking eyes with him during lulls in their conversations, and how it set her soul aflame. Ah, but none of these memories helped her now, she had been left to her own devices.

Not knowing how else to fill her time, Tindómiel allowed herself to wander. Her feet took her off into the forest, well away from the Minyar settlement. The forest was not off limits to the Tanyar, but it was an area previously unexplored for her. Perhaps the draw was a slim hope ot meetin Lómion out there hunting. She walked deep into the forest, until she was completely alone in thick darkness and there was no more sound of anything, and no more movement, even currents of air. In this complete void of light, she was surprised to notice that her skin was slightly luminous. "Well that is certainly peculiar," she muttered half under her breath, "it is almost as if I were made from the stuff of stars."

Almost in answer, she heard a shift in the music that was constantly playing in the background, just on the edge of hearing. Curious about this shift, she reached out and touched the large oak she was standing under. The music shifted yet again. Her hand remained pressed firmly against the rough bark of the oak's massive trunk, this tree already seemed ancient thought she had only been awake a little while. She wondered how far back time stretched before she even came into being.

"Hello, friend. Are you trying to speak with me?" she asked the oak. There was no answer and suddenly she felt foolish, trees did not have mouths. She removed her hand and heard a plaintive shift to the tree's song. "Oh! But you are trying to speak to me! I am Tindómiel. What do you call yourself?..... Fangalda?" She looked at the tree, studying it closely. It was old and rather shabby, with moss hanging from its branches and around its trunk. Maybe Treebeard was a good name for it after all.

Tindómiel spent uncounted time with this tree in the dark, listening to its music and trying to teach it some of the words she had learned from the song. It was a very slow process, but she was determined to accomplish this task. Already this tree was denying the fact that it was even a tree. She had to get to the bottom of this mystery, how could it not be a tree if it had bark and roots and branches?