Family

"Where's the damn bottle opener?!" I was searching through the drawers in Ric's apartment looking for something that I could open a bottle of wine with.

"Second drawer on the left," Katerina answers. "I'm not exactly sure why Ric has one. He usually spends time at the bar with Damon."

"Don't talk to me about Damon Salvatore," I say sharply.

"I see Damon's gotten under your skin," Katerina notes.

"No, he has not," I try to keep myself composed. "He's a bastard who tried to kill me and I'm still pissed."

"He's tried to kill me probably a dozen times," she replies. "And I always managed to forgive him."

"That's because he's in love with you," I say, placing the bottle opener in the cork top of the wine.

"Not anymore," Katerina sighs. "He's so lost in Elena Gilbert that it's not even funny."

I finally got the top off of the wine. Turning my back for a second to retrieve a wine glass, I saw Katerina put a few drops of vervain in the bottle of wine.

So, she wanted to play games, did she? Well, two could play at that.

I turned back to Katerina, pretending that I didn't see anything, proceeding to pour the wine, acting oblivious.

I pick up the glass and act like I'm about to take a sip, gauging Katerina's reaction. She looked expectant.

"How stupid do think I am, Katerina?" I ask menacingly, pouring the contents of the glass into the sink. "Don 't think I didn't see you pour vervain into the wine. Don't even try to deny it."

Katerina was speechless.

"What were going to do anyway?" I ask, morbidly curious. "Poison me and make a getaway? It's not like you could leave, you're compelled to stay here."

She didn't say anything because she knew I was right.

"You ruined a perfectly good bottle of wine," I sigh. "What am I going to do with you Katerina?"

"Kill me," she says, no emotion in her voice.

I start to smile, and walk around the counter. Breaking off a leg from a nearby stool, I continue towards her and raise the stake, so it's positioned just above her heart.

She looked expectant. I knew she would rather die than face Klaus. I didn't blame her; I'd wanna die too if I'd done what she had.

At the last minute, I plunge the improvised stake into her stomach and twist. She lets out a yelp of pain.

"I'm not going to kill you because that would be too easy," I whisper in her ear. "I'd rather see you die at the hands of my uncle."

Just then there's a knock on the door. I look over at the door and then back at Katerina.

"You'll have to pull that out yourself," I say, looking pointedly at the chunk of wood embedded into her stomach. "Because I'm getting the door."

I walk over to the door and open it. Damon Salvatore was leaning against the doorjamb.

"Oh look," I fake excitement. "The one person who I don't want to see."

"Just admit that you think I'm attractive," he smirks. "I know you wanna sleep with me."

He was right about the attractive part. He had such gorgeous blue eyes. I loved men with dark hair and light eyes.

"Oh, yeah," I say, sarcasm coloring my tone. "Because that is so what I'm thinking."