The Sacrifice

The moon was high up in the sky, shining brightly and casting eerie shadows among the trees I was hiding behind in the woods. The moon would soon reach it's apex, meaning that the sacrifice would soon begin.

My hiding spot was just a few feet away from the sacrificial alter. Greta was in the clearing along with an unconscious Jenna. All that was missing was the werewolf, my uncle and the doppelgänger.

As if on cue, my uncle appeared in the clearing with Elena, setting her down by her unconscious aunt.

Klaus was speaking with Greta, telling her he needed to take care of a few things and that he'd be back at midnight.

I take a step closer, trying to get a better look, but regret it the second I do. A branch snaps under my foot and my uncle looks in my direction. I slip behind the tree again, trying to hide from him. As soon as I take my first step to run, Klaus is there, blocking my path.

"Mary Elizabeth," he says in a eerily calm voice. "You wouldn't be running, would you?"

"Um..." I was rendered speechless, completely taken off guard. You would think since I was almost a thousand years old, I'd be able to come up with an excuse as to what I was doing there and why I was running, but words escaped me.

For the first time in my existence, I was terrified of my uncle. Of what he would do to me if he knew that was on my father's side. He would see me as a traitor and most likely kill me. He killed anyone who betrayed or displeased him. This was why Finn, Kol and Rebekah were being carted around in caskets where ever he went. They had fallen out of his favor.

However, I was different. I wasn't like my aunt and uncles. I wasn't an Original. If I was daggered, I would stay dead.

"It seems as though words have escaped you," Klaus says, smirking.

I gulp loudly, praying that he doesn't compel me to tell the truth.

"Uncle Klaus, please," I beg, finding my words and sink down to my knees, making it look like I was begging for mercy. Which was exactly what I was doing. "Forgive me. I was only doing what my father was asking of me." I was only doing what I thought was right.

If Klaus killed me, so be it. At least if I died, it would've been for a cause. A cause to save an innocent Petrova who didn't deserve this. Elena deserved to live. Forget my prejudice against the Petrovas, Katerina was the only reason I hated them. Elena was different. She stood up for what she believed in, even if it angered the ones she loved in the process.

"What exactly did Elijah ask you to do?" Klaus puts a finger under my chin and lifts my face so I'm looking at him.

"To keep the doppelgänger safe from you," I answer, my eyes trying to avoid his gaze. "And when that didn't work, I was supposed to help them find a way to keep Elena alive after the sacrifice by not turning her into a vampire."

He nods his head, taking in what I've said.

"And did you?" he asks. "Did you find a way?"

"No," I lie.

Klaus switches his grip on me, this time grasping my throat with both of his hands, so I couldn't breathe.

"Tell me the truth!" he yells, tightening his grip on my jugular.

"Yes," I gasp, struggling to breathe. "The elixir my father procured for Katerina over five-hundred years ago. But they were unsure if it was going to work because it was so old."

Klaus frees my neck and I lean over coughing, sucking in as many lungfuls of air as I could to catch my breath. My throat was on fire and my muscles were sore.