xxiii. the supoena

THE FOLLOWING TUESDAY morning when Cassie woke up, she was at a loss for thoughts

THE FOLLOWING TUESDAY morning when Cassie woke up, she was at a loss for thoughts. Nothing came to mind, and she couldn't really think. Although things seemed to be clearing up and fixing themselves, she was still at odds with Justin and something else was just begging to ruin her day.

She managed to get herself out of bed and prepare for the day. By the time she was ready to get out the door, the doorbell had rung and her mother rushed to get it from the kitchen. As she pulled the door open, Cassie peaked from around the corner and saw a police officer standing on her "Welcome" mat.

"Are you the legal parent or guardian of Cassie James?"

   "Yes, I am," her mom answered, it was easy to read the confusion in her tone.

   Cassie came from around the corner, and came by her mother's side. The officer's eyes flickered on her for a second before offering an orange envelope to her mother, "your daughter had been subpoenaed for a deposition." Slowly but surely she took it, sending the officer to leave their front porch.

   "What's this about?" Cassie questioned aloud.

   Her mother closed the door and opened the envelope, revealing a couple pieces of paper. She scanned the first page and glanced over at her daughter.

   "The Bakers are suing the school for Hannah Baker's suicide. They've having a deposition and they want you involved to gather evidence," her mother explained worriedly, "were you and Hannah friends?"

   It was hard for Cassie to answer that question. She hadn't really involved her mother with school issues, with the exception of Justin. Those were boy troubles though, but why a girl was "bullied to death" hadn't been on the agenda of conversation.

   It was even weirder for her to answer, because they weren't friends and for a good reason, too.

"We've only talked maybe once or twice," Cassie admitted but knew she was withholding certain truths.

"Why would they want you involved in a case with a girl you've hardly talked to?" Her mother asked in a questioning mood.

"Can we talk about this later, I have school," she replied without actually answering.

Cassie wanted to avoid this just until after school. She knew she couldn't hide it forever, but she could sure try and gather her thoughts before she'd have to. It wasn't hard to explain, but the thought of her almost good mood possibly disappearing made her less hopeful of today being good.

Her mother sighed, "fine, but we are having this discussion later."

Cassie nodded, kissed her mother on the cheek and left the house in a somewhat hurry to get to school. Which was the opposite of what she wanted to do, along with talking to certain varsity basketball player, but she couldn't avoid everything.