Chapter 22

Jacob cut the engine when we reached a small, one-floor house. The house had a ramp that led to the door and the exterior was old and red. There was a large garage attached to it, about the same size as the house itself. There were woods about fifty yards away from the house and as I stepped out of the truck I heard several wolf howls coming from them.

"Billy really wants to see you. He hasn't seen you in ages." Jacob said as I followed him up the ramp and to the door. He unlocked it and opened it. I trailed behind him and he closed the door behind me. He went through the small, white barely-lit kitchen and to the living.

"Jake! Why are you back? Shouldn't you be on patrol?" A gruffed voice said from the corner of the living room.

Jacob signed and nodded in my direction. "The Cullens warned us about vampires arriving in town and we were allowed to kill them if we looked after Bella."

A face leaned forward and I recognised the face as Billy Black, Charlie's old best friend and Jacob's father. He had long black hair with some grey streaks in it and he had old, dark brown eyes. His face was covered in wrinkles from old age, but I remember him always wearing a smile. He was positively beaming when he saw me and he rolled the wheels of his wheelchair towards me. He'd been in an accident with a drunk driver in a car crash and he ended up getting paralysed from the waist down. The driver had been killed instantly and both of their cars were broken beyond repair.

"Hello, Bella. Haven't see you in a long while." Billy said cheerfully.

I nodded and smiled in greeting. "Hi, Billy. I know; I should've visited sooner."

"I understand why you didn't." The way he spoke sounded like he was hiding something. But I didn't have to wander for long as he spoke open. "I never knew what Charlie was doing to you. I feel so ashamed."

I stiffened at his words. Of course, he'd know what Charlie has done and why he was arrested. This was a small town; nothing was secret and gossip travelled faster than wildfire. Well, only if the secrets are revealed. For example, my secret and the Cullens' secret. And whatever secret the boys and Jacob were keeping here in La Push.

"You didn't know. Anyway, that's in the past. Let's just look to the future and ignore it." I sat down next to Jacob on the battered sofa, next to the window. But the elephant in the room was so big it was suffocating me and everybody else in the room. The whole atmosphere was tense and everyone knew why.

Staring out the window was the thing that entertained me for the next two hours or so. I watched how the moon kept moving slowly across the sky, lighting up the trees. I kept checking my new phone for any missed calls or next and I only ended up getting more worried. But they say no news is good news; unless the person is dead and can't use the phone to call or text me.

Billy kept asking me if I wanted something to eat, but my stomach was in tight knots and I wished Jasper was here. He'd be able to calm me down and take the tension away. But if he was here the Cullens would have the disadvantage against the nomads and one of them would more likely be killed. And I don't want to be the reason they were killed.

It's your fault that they're out there right now and it's your fault if any of them die, my brain spoke darkly.

Shut it, brain.

My brain didn't shut up for the next twenty minutes. It kept imaging scenario after scenario of each and every single method of the Cullens dying, getting more dark and twisted at every thought. I was about to scream in terror, literally, and run after them to make sure they're alright and alive. I didn't care if the nomads would found me and kill me; I just had to know that the Cullens are alive and not have their heads ripped from their bodies.