01

01 : Vanessa's POV

This isn't how it is supposed to be, this isn't how it is supposed to feel. Everything was great — perfect in fact. Until everyone grew the sprout of anticipation which only led others to believe it was perfectly okay with judging others by the way they look.

A gentle hand of a delicate touch softly shook my body along with the motherly scent of cinnamon. The bed creaked slightly as she continued to gently shake me awake, although I've been awake the entire time. My eyes were closed tightly only allowing me to see the darkness behind the eyelids that gazed upon the hasty world.

I had just left the "home of judgment" and the last thing I wanted to do was return only to be bombarded with words of discouragement that only bloomed my insecurities towards my appearance.

"Mom, I don't want to go," I muttered into the soft pillow that disgustingly had my slobber plastered on the side of it. I can't help but feel informally spooked at what will take place tonight. Butterflies fluttered around in my stomach, I could even taste the expectancy of horror.

Usually, I can handle the verbal abuse from my classmates who yelled for me to be just as quintessential as they are. It was all the same for me "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" at times, that saying was somewhat true, but there was this guy — i've always had a crush on him, but when he spoke malicious words it made my ears throb and my heart beat slower until the thumping in my chest almost vanished beyond existence. He wounded me deeply and it struck me hard, my breathing were left unsteady. He is the dictator of my nightmares which crash down on me and straps me into my prison. His name is Lucifer Mariano.

Sadly, he is like a brother to my brother and my small family opens their rotten hearts wide open for him. My mother speaks of him as if he is some sort of saint and my brother worships the ground he walks on. Little do they know, he is nothing of the sort. He's as loud as the devil and does a good job at stealing the souls of many, even my own big brother.

Both Lucifer and my brother were called "inseparable".

Inseparability is a word that runs thin, for example when Lucifer failed his grade level — he changed. Lucifer is two years older than I, but somehow with his intelligence masked, he managed to fail a grade level. Leaving my brother to flap with his own wings and explore the world without the guidance of his best friend. They no longer were Lucifer and Xavier. They began talking to more people and even expanded their little group. So, basically, they are nothing but a simple acquaintance toward one another.

"Honey, you don't want to miss out on something like this. Many people are just dying to be in your shoes, now get your a** up and let's get you ready!" My mother declared while bursting out into a huge smile, she's just so beautiful and her aura was calming. She could invoke a small smile even on a statue's face.

With an agitated groan, I pull my blanket off of me and stood up to embrace the cold air. "That's my baby girl!" She contemptuously announced, "I will be right back, I left your dress in my bedroom." And with that, she left the room. Her big, bright smile never left her lips as she cheerfully ran out the room.

I allowed her to choose my dress due to my horrible taste in fashion. Standing up on wobbly feet, I get up from my comfy haven of blankets and pillows and sigh at the feather-like contact made on my feet as I walk on my pink rug.

The walk into the bathroom was short-lived, considering the fact that they are both connected by a tedious door, with no patterns at all, just a shady color. I flick the light on and waited for my eyes to get accustomed to the bright light before staring at myself in the mirror.