Chapter Nine

Thursday night, as soon as I had finished my homework, I texted Nick as usual. At least, that was what I thought.

Serena: Hey Nick! What's new?

Rachel: Who's Nick?

Serena: Oh, sorry! I meant to text that to someone else.

Rachel: Seriously, who's Nick?

I didn't answer. She kept texting threats that we wouldn't be friends anymore if I didn't tell her because she was worried that Nick could be dangerous and might hurt me. I felt bad for hiding him from my friends but I knew it was best that way. I was doing this to protect Nicholas. The next day, as I came out of the Science Lab, Rachel and Jennifer ambushed me. My heart started pounding.

"I told you it was Mr. Grant!" Jen told Rachel.

My voice shook as I pleaded them not to report us. They agreed to not say anything as long as my safety wasn't in danger.

"How long has this been going on?" Jen asked.

This was the hard question. I knew they'd have trouble trusting me again once they learned how long I had kept my relationship hidden. I was surprised to see that they weren't very mad.

"That's why you've been acting so strange lately!"

"And why you're always late!" Rachel added.

They had pieced the puzzle together. I was somewhat relieved because now I had nothing to hide from my friends. 4 months passed while Nick and I dated secretly. The time I spent with him was the best time of my life. Every day, I fell deeper and deeper in love with him.

One Saturday night, in April, I got to spend the night at Nick's place. I had told my parents that I was going to Jen's but it wasn't the case. We had spent the entire day at a museum far from here so that we wouldn't be recognized by anyone. When we were back, we watched a romantic movie and once it was done, Nick carried me to his bed. After making love, we were both worn out. I laid with my head on his shoulder and my arm on his chest. He gently passed his fingers through my hair. We started discussing about the woman at the museum who had flirted with him.

"She was pretty..." he admitted. "And my age."

I felt a surge of jealousy.

"So you like her?"

He started to laugh and his chest moved.

"Are you kidding? She is nothing compared to you, my beautiful Serena!"

I was still a bit uneasy.

"You have nothing to worry about. My heart will always be yours to keep! I am your slave!"

I nudged him.

"My slave, huh? What can I get you to do for me?" I joked.

He kissed the top of my head and then sighed.

"I wish we could stay like this forever!" he whispered.

"We can..."

"I love you so much!" he said, tenderly.

"But I love you more! Wow, this is such a cheesy moment!"

He laughed which made me smile. Nick stroked my cheek with the back of his hand.

"And now back to more serious things."

I glanced at him questioningly.

"Serena, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. And if you agree, I wish to marry you once you are eighteen..."

"I do, This is exactly what I want, to spend my life with you too!"

It was morning. I knew because there were thin rays of sunlight painting the walls of the room. I sighed in comfort and faced Nick. He slept there angelically, as I memorized his perfect jawline, the way his lips curved, his long eyelashes forming a dark crescent moon upon his cheeks. He was mine and I was his. Slowly, he woke up and smiled at me blissfully.

"Good morning, my love." he said.

"Good morning."

I turned towards the alarm clock. It was 10:56!

"Oh my god!" I exclaimed. "I'd better get going!"

I gathered my things while he pouted cutely. I placed my finger upon his lips and he kissed it.

"You will come back soon, right?"

I nodded as I finished brushing my hair and got on the tips of my toes to give him a kiss goodbye. At the time, I didn't know that my promise to come back wouldn't be kept.