Chapter Ten

As I walked into the house, I felt nauseous. I greeted my mother and Josiah and quickly ran to the washroom. It was a good thing that I went when I did because I threw up. Maybe I'm sick, or I have food poisoning. But I hadn't been around anyone who had been sick and I doubted it was food poisoning. So, I skipped to the conclusion quite fast that I might have been pregnant. I prayed that the test would be negative. I had never prayed before. My hands shook as I got ready to observe the result. A small cross was indicated. This can't be right! I thought feverishly. I took the test twice before I realized the inevitable. I was pregnant with Nick's child. I started to freak out but calmed down figuring that Nicholas would know what to do. I rushed to my car, telling my mother that I was going to the mall. I sat shaking from head to toe as I drove to his house. Time seemed to tick by so slowly. Minutes dragged on as my anxiety went higher. I stopped at a red light. Come on, come on! The light changed to green and as I turned to the right, a car swerved in my direction. Things started going slowly until I thought time had frozen completely. I thought of Nick. How perfect he was, how much I loved him, how happy we were going to be once we were married. A tear escaped my eye. I saw a light, then emptiness...