XI.

LAMENT | XI.
(' CHANGES ')

WILLA AWOKE in the middle of the night, unable to breath

WILLA AWOKE in the middle of the night, unable to breath. Her hands shot to her neck as she clawed to get the set of hands away from her throat, but nothing was there. She glanced around the dark room and saw no one, not even a silhouette. Her breathing began to regulate, but her heart was still trying to beat its way out of her chest.

It was just a nightmare, she thought to herself, as though it would calm her. However, Willa was anything but calm. She had grown used to the images of her brother attempting to take advantage of her, but this was different. When Willa dreamt of Black Walder, she knew that there were miles that separated them.

Nothing separated her from Joffrey.

He was just down the hall from her. If he wanted, he could storm into her room and have his way with her. It left her unsettled, and now it wasn't allowing her to sleep.

Her dreams were beginning to play out the same, she and Joffrey would marry. The event would be expensive and probably beautiful, but she wouldn't notice, her mind would be stuck on the fact that she wasn't Robb's queen. She was Joffrey's.

Then the festivities would be over and Willa would have to go with Joffrey to his bed chambers. He'd demand that she undress for him, tell her he's been waiting for this moment. And then he would have his way with her. And Willa wouldn't be able to protest because he's the king.

To make it worse, Robb had given up on her. The Lannisters would eventually give Sansa back and Robb would have no need to rescue Willa. He'd marry a Northern girl, and she'd be beautiful. They would have a fruitful marriage and Robb would be happy. There would be no one to care for Willa, or mourn her when she threw herself from the castle window, because she wouldn't be able to live like that.

Maybe Edric would care, maybe if Robb gave up on her, Edric would come back to rescue her.

That's foolish, she thought, Robb loves you, he'd never abandon you.

***

Edric sighed. He didn't have the best history with nobility, why did he think things would be different with Robb? He wasn't a prisoner, but every man in camp was keeping a watchful eye over him.

"You are stupid, aren't you?" he immediately knew it was Rylen, and found her taunting to be rather endearing. He turned to face her and saw a smirk playing on her lips.

"I just want to help. Why won't Robb let me?" Edric asked, his voice lowered.

"Robb cannot seem emotionally motivated. He is younger than every commander, he has so much to prove," Rylen explained.

"But if I get Willa and Sansa, then the Lannisters have nothing to hold over Robb's head. We would have something over the Lannisters," Edric doesn't even notice the way he groups himself with the Northerns.