The Ultimate Showdown

Tom and Harry were walking in the empty hallways. It was the Hogsmead weekend, the rest of the group was out with their dates. The whole castle was almost empty.

“Want a trip in the forbidden forest?” Harry asked smiling.

“Forbidden Forest? Isn’t it forbidden to go there?” Tom asked.

Harry shrugged. “I used to go there a lot; when I needed some alone time. I have a special connection with the centaurs over there. Apparently, they knew because—I am Harry Potter and all; like everybody else knew.” Harry said making a face.

Tom nodded smiling. “Yeah, Harry Potter, the-boy-who-lived, and the vanquisher of the Dark Lord.”

“Yeah—that—so, I was saying that, maybe, I don’t know them now, but we could go and see them.” Harry said looking at Tom.

But before Tom could answer, they saw an old tall figure approaching them from the far end of the hallway. They stopped dead in their tracks.

“Tom, shields,” Harry muttered. Tom nodded.

“Good morning, Professor,” Tom greeted the smiling man.

“Good morning, Tom. And Harry, why you not at Hogsmead; haven’t you got the permission form signed?” Dumbledore asked.

“No—actually, I just wanted to stay back this time.” Harry shrugged.

Dumbledore nodded. Harry noticed his eyes flicker to Tom for a millisecond. If he didn’t know him too well, he wouldn’t have known that Dumbledore was thinking exactly the same thing as he was; Chamber of Secrets.

“Tom, can I have a minute or two with you in my office?” Dumbledore asked looking from above his half moon spectacles.

“Of course, Professor,” Tom said smiling.

As Dumbledore walked away, Harry looked at Tom with a determined look.

“He’s going to ask you about the Chamber of Secrets.” Harry said.

Tom nodded. “I know,”

“What are you going to say?”

“The truth,” Tom shrugged.

“Are you sure?” Harry asked.

“More than ever,” Tom returned Harry his look. The two teenagers walked towards Dumbledore’s office.

Harry waited outside his office, as Tom entered the office. For the first time in his five years in Hogwarts, he noticed the evilness in those glinting stares; the smirk behind the kind smile that he had witnessed from the day he had seen him for the first time. He slowly approached the desk.

“Sit down, Tom.” Dumbledore gestured towards a chair in front of Tom.

“You wanted to talk to me, Professor?” Tom asked taking the seat.

Dumbledore nodded. “Yes, yes; and I guess you know what I want to talk about?” he asked in his old shabby voice.

Tom nodded. “I guess so. And let me tell you that I’ve opened the Chamber of Secrets.” Tom informed, looking Dumbledore into his eyes confidently.

Dumbledore’s eyebrows shot up. “Indeed?” he asked. Tom nodded. “Ah, that’s good news. So, what did you find there?” he asked. His eyes were full of greed and hunger.

Tom frowned at his reaction. “Well, it wasn’t a very pleasant place to visit. There’s a basilisk which only follows the order of the Slytherin heir. And Harry had a panic attack after I summoned it—“