Chapter 10: A Girl

For the record, there is a little bit of geography I've changed around here and there to suit the story better, but it's not like the anime hasn't done it before, so just roll with it. And roll on to Chapter 10!

Chapter 10

A Girl

"Congratulations!" Glasses clinked against one another and Ash watched as Kukui tipped back to large mug and downed it all in what seemed to be seconds. The sun was setting outside the Pokémon Center, much to his surprise, and all around them, trainers were enjoying laid back dinners, if it wasn't for their rather noisy group. Over in a corner, all of the Pokémon were chowing down on their meals, with Pikipek and Rowlet having particularly large bowls (though Pikipek happened to share some with Chespin, to Rowlet's dismay).

"A battle against the Kahuna," Ilima commented, tapping his chin. "Not unusual for anyone who completes the trial, of course, but I wonder what kind of battle Hala will put up against you. He always scales for his opponents...or so it seems. When was the last time you saw him battle at top strength, Professor?"

"Oh...I have no idea," Kukui said. "I mean, he battled you at quite the level for being captain, and myself...but maybe...hmm..." The man appeared lost in a memory before he laughed it all off. "Doesn't matter. We'll all be there."

"You're certainly taking an interest in Ash's battles here, professor," Clemont commented. His eyes briefly looked over to his Pokémon snacking, Rockruff sharing a bowl with Pikachu.

"What can I say? I enjoy a heated battle! And I'm sure that with your first Z-Crystal, you'll get even more heated in battle," Kukui told them, winking at Ash a little. Finishing the dinner on his plate, Ash nodded. The man had said it so flippantly, yet something inside of Ash told him that there was a certain reverence to be held for the Z-Ring clasped on his wrist. It was likely something not to be used lightly. Knowing that, he stood.

"Just going to get some fresh air," he told everyone at the table. The others all seemed to watch him go silently before returning to their conversations. Ash continued to the outside, ignoring the looks of admiration that seemed to pass around the trainers there after the news of his victory. When he finally reached the empty battlefield, he kept walking until he was in the center of it, taking in a deep breath.

"Pikapi?" called Pikachu's voice and he turned around to see his faithful partner, along with Rockruff, standing there on the ground. The latter was wagging her tail excitedly. Ash bent down with a smile, scratching them both behind the ears.

"I'm all right. Just thinking."

"About the Z-Ring?" Ash looked up at the sound of Clemont's voice. The inventor was standing there, hands in his pockets and looking nervous. "You seemed to be pensive about it at dinner."

"Mm," was all that Ash could vocalize. He really didn't want to admit that he was unsure of how he would face Hala or answer his questions. Ash usually wasn't one to doubt himself, but the weight of the ring and crystal on his wrist made him think otherwise, for however brief a time. Clemont seemed to understand, sighing a little and walking up to him.

"You know, we've been traveling together for a while," the blond told him. Ash nodded, not quite seeing where Clemont was going with this. "Yet, no matter how much I see you battle, you always impress me. Always taking strides forward; you and Serena both, no matter how much you might doubt yourself in individual moments."

"So do you, Clemont," Ash insisted. His friend chuckled a little, wearing a smile on his face.

"I wonder..." he replied. Ash tilted his head a little, but Clemont responded by placing a hand on his shoulder. "Doesn't matter. What I'm saying is that you'll figure whatever is on your mind out. I truly believe that. Serena does, too, but you know her better than I do."