Chapter 15: A Date

And so, we're off to Akala! Think of it as sort of an early birthday present...just like how next chapter will be a belated birthday present. But enough about that: to my fellow Americans, I must request one thing...read this chapter, review it, and then find your nearest theater playing the film Your Name. and watch it! You must do this! Now! But first, Chapter 15!

Chapter 15

A Date

"All right, Rockruff, let's see what you can do."

"Rrruff!" Rockruff barked, leaping from her place in Ash's arms and onto the ferry's deck, her little tail wagging back and forth. In front of her stood Serena and her own two Pokémon: Braixen and Popplio. Ash watched as Clemont and Bonnie cleared the field to stand at the edges of the ferry, Lillie going right along with them. Hau, meanwhile, came to stand right next to Ash.

"You, too, Munchlax!" To Ash's surprise, the Big Eater Pokémon was alert and seemed ready for battle as he emerged next to Rockruff. Ash looked to Hau and the two grinned.

"All right, Serena, give us your best shot for this training," he yelled across to his girlfriend. She winked at him.

"We definitely will. Braixen, we need to try working on learning that new move," she assured her most trusted Pokémon. Braixen nodded, twirling her alit wand around rapidly. Popplio slapped her flippers together, bouncing up and down on her tail in preparation. "We'll start off with a Fire Spin, but try to control every aspect of it...that might work."

"Braixen," Braixen agreed. She held her wand forward and sent out the rotating ribbons of flame. Ash could see her straining, eyes and lips practically puckered. The ribbons wavered a bit, like they were trying to move and converge, but were unable to. It looked frustrating, but Ash knew that as this was a mock training battle, he couldn't just stand around and watch.

"Rockruff, let's use Rock Polish," Ash called, remembering some of the commands that Kukui had given in their earlier battle. Rockruff hunkered down as blue sparks traveled around her body. "Now, use Bite!"

"Ruff!" she cried, speeding forward. Popplio jumped back, and even Ash was surprised at the speed with which Rockruff moved, tossing up the dirt around her feet. She bounded over Popplio and aimed her biting attack at the Sea Lion Pokémon.

"Twirl and use Bubblebeam," Serena called. Ash had to admit surprise, watching Popplio spin, avoiding the Bite attack and sending the bubbles around her in a glorious stream. It reminded him of his good old Counter Shield, and he had to wonder if that was Serena's intent. Meanwhile, Braixen's attempt at creating any sort of new move psychically seemed to have failed, considering Hau had called for Munchlax's Body Slam. "Flamethrower on the ground to get above and then flip over!"

"Brai!" Braixen called. She aimed her wand downward and used it to propel herself upwards, over Munchlax's head. Once more, she created a Fire Spin, attempting to force the streams of fire to converge on a single point.

"Rollout, Munchlax," Hau said. Munchlax rolled itself into a ball and began spinning around the battlefield without a care in the world. Rotom floated overhead, snapping a shot of the battle below. Ash looked back to Popplio and Rockruff, his own partner shaking her head from the water. Pikachu cheered from next to Ash, pumping his fists in the air.

"Use Rock Throw!" Ash said positively. The rocks sprung from the stones around Rockruff's neck, coalescing into a single large stone that fell towards Popplio. Before Serena could issue the command, the rock struck, knocking Popplio back.

"Rockruff's really fast," Clemont commented. Bonnie clutched at Dedenne (who was sleeping) with a smile on her face.

"She's so strong and cute," she commented before looking down at Dedenne. Ash caught a frown on her face, as she seemed to think about something, but shook her head to watch the battle. Only Lillie seemed tense, like she was fearful of the scene before her. Ash shook his head.