Chapter 20: A Jungle

Perhaps the greatest joy I take as an author is the ability to accidentally make all my readers think something that I know isn't true and then show them that and it somehow surprises them when I didn't even mean to. Guess that's a good thing, huh? An even better thing is Chapter 20!

Chapter 20

A Jungle

"Is everyone ready?"

"Pikapika!" Pikachu cheered, leading all of Ash's Pokémon in a cry for their victory. The sun was just beginning to shine over the ocean, illuminating the day they'd be traveling to Lush Jungle for the next trial. All of his Pokémon seemed excited, ready to take on the next challenge before them. Behind Ash, the door opened and soft footsteps sounded on the wooden deck.

"You're all ready to go, then?" called Lillie's voice. Ash was honestly surprised that it was her instead of Serena, but felt no less glad to have the support of another friend in his next endeavor. After a day of training, it was definitely just what he needed. "Serena and the others are almost ready to go, but...I don't know. I just wanted to see how you were."

"I'm doing great," Ash insisted, stretching his arms as Lillie smiled at him. "Nebby looks pretty excited, too."

"Pewpew!" chimed in the little cloud happily. Lillie finally looked down and realized that Nebby had escaped the bag, basking in the golden rays now coming over the hill. The blonde girl gave a cry of shock.

"Nebby..." she said sternly. Nebby turned slowly, peering up at his caretaker with an innocent expression. "Get in the bag."

"Pew."

"Nebby!" Ash laughed, not at Lillie's misfortune, but simply the entire situation; like a mother trying to make her child eat his peas. Ash eventually walked up to Lillie after a moment, putting a hand on her shoulder before he leaned down towards Nebby.

"I know you probably don't like the bag, Nebby," he told him. Nebby swayed back and forth, smiling at him curiously. "But Lillie is only looking out for you. You don't want to cause her too much trouble, do you?"

"Pew?" Nebby now stopped his swaying in time for Pikachu to run up to him and pat him kindly. Pikachu appeared to talk to him, as if explaining things in the same way. Eventually, Nebby nodded and jumped up towards Lillie, cuddling against her before slipping into the bag with a final "Pew!"

At this moment, Serena, Clemont, Bonnie and Rotom all emerged, looking rested and ready for travel. Wanting to hit the road as soon as possible, Ash called all of his Pokémon to return, the four of them giving him fierce and determined looks before he did so. Then, wheeling around on his heels, Ash made sure to take Serena's hand (if partially because she was in charge of the map) before jetting off towards the direction of Lush Jungle.

Given that it was still early morning, most Pokémon in the wilds hadn't woken up for the day as of yet, leaving their path devoid of distractions. Even Rotom appeared to be lazy enough to not even taunt Bonnie, the two of them having clearly declared a ceasefire with one another...for now, at least. Ash and Lillie, funnily enough, seemed to be the most enthusiastic about reaching Lush Jungle, if the yawns were anything to go by.

"Your third trial?" Lillie spoke as the leaves of the jungle were very visible in the near distance. Ash estimated that it wouldn't take them much time at all, especially as he could see a small path coming from another direction that would join up with theirs on the final approach. Someone appeared to be walking, or running, down the path, but Ash focused on Lillie's excitement. "I wonder what it's like to take part in a trial..."