Chapter 1

"What about Seth?"

I stiffened as I heard my name. I was sitting on a chair in the school's too-small library, doing homework. I recognized the voice and the tone: Paul.

"What about him?" That was Jared's voice, sounding distracted.

"Do you think he'll ever "join" us?"

"Not on your life." I thought.

Jared snorted. "Not likely. He's the runt of the Clearwater clan. A three year-old could beat him up."

Paul chuckled.

I was the smallest kid in my school. A tough gig, seeing how most of the kids there could hold their own at any weight lifting competition. I often wondered whether our ancestors had been exposed to some kind of radioactive substance that made them grow freakishly huge.

The vast differences in size might have been painful for a kid who was five-three in a school where the average height was five-seven, but I made up for it with my speed. I could outrun nearly anyone. But I still would have traded my running ability for a few extra pounds of muscle and maybe a three inch growth spurt in a heartbeat.

You would have thought that I would be pretty big, considering my family. My brother Sam was gigantic and my sister Leah was, well, let's just say that she could kick just about anyone's butt. She liked to practice on mine when I annoyed her, when she could catch me.

But I was small and there was nothing I could do about it. I was never bullied, thanks to the fact that I lived with my brother and he was known to blacken eyes for less than a petty insult.

Me and Leah lived with Sam and his wife Emily. My mom and dad had died in a car wreck nearly three years ago so Sam got stuck with us. It still hurt to think of them, sometimes, so I tried not to.

It was hard to ignore what other people wouldn't.

I would hear them sometimes, whispering to each other: "Poor boy, it's a wonder that he lived through birth," Or some other kind of crap.

"Why do you think that he isn't like the rest of them? Sam and Leah are one of us." That was Embry, or it might have been Quil.

Sam and Leah were part of some kind of group that only a select few could join, led by Jacob Black who was the closest thing La Push had to a president. Basically, he was the chief and what he said, went.

I didn't know why he was treated that way and whenever I asked Sam about it he would look at me with a really weird expression and say the exact same thing my dad used to say when Sam and then Leah was acting freaky.

"You'll understand someday, Seth," he would say, trying not to sound uncomfortable. "And if you don't, well, I'll explain it to you." After saying this, Sam and Leah would leave together to meet up with Paul, Jacob, Jared, Quil, Embry, and other idiots who were hyped up on steroids. I didn't think there were others, but there might have been and I wouldn't have known. Sam and Leah never talked about those meetings and they didn't like being asked.

They would often leave me and Emily alone for hours while they ran off to join their pals in some kind of get-together. Sometimes they wouldn't be back until the next day, looking like they had slept outside. I didn't know what they were up to and I honestly didn't care. I hated Jacob; he was always looking at me and laughing as if at some kind of private joke. I hated Paul, he was a jerk and a pain in the rear, and I hated Jared because he had been a bully before he joined up with Jacob and company. Then Jacob had straightened him out. That was the only good thing he ever did.