Chapter 2

Why does it always have to be painful?

A voice in my head. Wow, second time in one day. I was delusional.

Calm down, it was a lot worse for the others. A new voice. It sounded familiar.

But why? Why does it hurt? He's in pain! The first voice sounded panicky now.

Why? I thought. Why did it sound freaked out? For some reason it didn't occur to me to be terrified at the voices in my head. It felt natural somehow. And I didn't hurt. I was a little sore, but that was all.

Welcome to the pack, shorty.

Okay, that voice I knew.

He remembers me. I guess those bruises I gave him where worth it after all. Her voice was both amused and affectionate at the same time as it rang though my head.

I was suddenly bombarded by a million thoughts and sensations, each one as tangible as any I had ever smelt or heard or felt. I couldn't even remember each one; they slid out of my mind like water. I only remembered the intensity of them. A few were repeated often and those I remembered. There was the smell of pine, bitter, spicy, and sweet all at the same time. There were the sounds of hearts beating behind muscle and fur, some calm, one thumping rather excitedly.

Then there was the feeling of... brotherhood. I was connected to each of them in a way that could only be compared to strings, steel chains that linked me to them in ways that were both tenuous and unbreakable.

I saw myself from several different perspectives, a sandy wolf fast asleep on the forest floor. If I had been human my mind probably would have exploded from all the information that was pouring into it.

I could hear thoughts. I would only phase when I got mad. And I knew about imprinting, the method of finding one's mate. I knew all of this in an instant, like I was remembering something I had forgotten.

I wasn't afraid of my new form. I couldn't be. Not now. Not with my brother and sister near me. Not when Jacob had imprinted on me. That was much worse.

Worse? Jacob's voice was in my head now and I recognized it as the one that I had heard first. His thoughts were shocked, then angry.

I felt his anger at my disgust for his imprinting on a guy. I felt his lust for my body, veiled by his anger but still bubbling beneath the surface. I felt my own fear as I saw countless images rush through his mind. They were all the same, only the scenario changed. A large bed, springs squeaking beneath him as he slammed into my body, the forest floor at twilight, dirt and sweat covering my body. The shower, water running over me as I... uh... sucked him.

And in all of them, the imaginary me seemed to enjoy it. Yup, he had imprinted.

Sick.

I opened my eyes and sat up. Jacob was the biggest one and drew my gaze first, his shaggy red-brown fur sticking up like a cat that was threatened. That was due to his anger, I assumed. I quickly looked away from him and swept the clearing I had been laying in with my eyes. Sam, black as midnight, sat next to a small gray wolf that I knew was Leah. He was trying to feel pleased with my joining the pack but he was slightly sickened by the lascivious thoughts Jacob had been having about me since imprinting. Leah's thoughts were, like her emotions and her spoken words, to the point and entirely undisguised.

She was completely grossed out.

And, to be honest, so was I.

Embry and Quil, the former a dark gray with spots on his back and the latter a warm chocolate brown, stood next to each other near Sam and Leah.